Ransom Woodstove 1860 Signet Airtight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lflavin

Apr 30, 2023
Woodstock, NY
Hi, does anyone know what this stove is worth, or anything about it? It’s S.H. Ransom from Albany, Ny, patented 1860 and also says signet airtight. is it a Wood stove?. Coal stove? It’s a beautiful thing and I wish I knew more about it.

IMG_0424.jpeg

Do you have any pics of the inside? More of the outside?

It looks pretty shallow, like the coal fireplaces in all of the brownstones in Albany.

I imagine it's missing a grate to hold the coal off the floor of the stove. Such a small firebox and opening would be a pain to load with wood.

Looks like standard Victorian era motif to me. Its worth what people will pay for it. The reddit guy paid $150 for a similar stove. I'd say something around that. You need to find a person who wants something to sit in their fireplace.

That looks like a side door on the right, it's a wood stove. The tiny door on the front is the air control. There's also no under fire air or any way to remove coal ash, another clue it's for wood. Fully restored by a dealer this could go for several hundred dollars, or whatever you can get. It's hard to put a price on something that is more or less decorative these days, especially something so heavy and fragile.

I agree. It does not look set up for coal. The stove is good-looking and appears to be in decent condition. The price will be in the eyes of the buyer. Cleaned up and to the right buyer, it should get more than $150. There are a few Ransoms on eBay right now for some pretty high prices, but that doesn't mean they will get it. All are listed 'or best offer'. Your stove, in poorer condition, has an $800 asking price. It lacks a baffle so this will never be a great heater, but it is an attractive conversation piece. I think it could bring in $500 for a quicker sale and maybe $750 to the right buyer in the fall when the market is hotter.

Reactions: SpaceBus