Rating a Breckwell P24I Pellet Stove vs. Harman, Englander, Avalon? Anyone own one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby123

Dec 13, 2009
Connecticut
Happy New Year first of all....

I am looking at a Breckwell P24I or P2000I. I would like to know if anyone has this insert and how this unit operates? I recently had and returned an Englander Summers Heat 55-SHPEPL insert. The reason I returned it was it couldn't get my room warmer than 66 (I have a 1800 sq ft ranch with a central fireplace) no matter what setting I had it on. Also the auger broke twice within 3 bags of pellets, totally a bad experience and do not want to go through this again. Now I know that the Englander and the Breckwell both have a 3" exhaust vent where most other stoves (Harman, Avalon, Lopi) have a 4" vent. Is this because of heat output or performance? Or is this a preference thing for the manufacturer? Talking with Harman and Avalon dealers the stove does not need to be cleaned every day like the Englander. Where does the Breckwell fall into the mix with these units? I like the Avalon and Lopi, but I can purchase a Breckwell for almost $1000 less. Is it worth spending the extra money (which is a little tight right now) and hopefully not get any headaches?

Thanks Steve

Scooby123 said:

Is it worth spending the extra money (which is a little tight right now) and hopefully not get any headaches?

Thanks Steve

Happy New Year Steve,

IMO yes spend the extra money. I have heard and seen 1st hand the Breckwells have some quality issue's. I also don't think the Breckwell would be any better than the Englander. Probably worse is more like it. Not keeping you warm that is.

I would opt for the more expensive stove. Just on the quality alone. PM macman he owned an Avalone and as far as I know had no issues. Also check out what Enviro line has to offer. There a tad cheaper than a Harman and there built very well.

jay

Steve, Breckwell stoves are not what they used to be....they have cheapened the stoves considerably to save $$. If it comes down to a Lopi/Avalon or a Breckwell, it's a no-brainer......Lopi/Avalon stoves are well made in USA, easy to maintain, great heat, lots of dealers, not many problems.

Compared to many other brands that members on this forum own, you don't see Lopi/Avalon problems popping-up very often. I had an Astoria FS, and it was 100% trouble-free.

Dont know anything about Brickwells but I couldnt be happier with my Avalon.Only been a season & a half with it but its been problem free and my oil furnace hasnt fired once.

Scooby123 said:
........ but I was hoping to save money. You get what you pay for applies here.

Yep, I agree......remember the old Fram filters commercial? "pay me now, or pay me later"....

Scooby123 said:

I am looking at a Breckwell P24I or P2000I. I would like to know if anyone has this insert and how this unit operates? I recently had and returned an Englander Summers Heat 55-SHPEPL insert. The reason I returned it was it couldn't get my room warmer than 66 (I have a 1800 sq ft ranch with a central fireplace) no matter what setting I had it on. Also the auger broke twice within 3 bags of pellets, totally a bad experience and do not want to go through this again. Now I know that the Englander and the Breckwell both have a 3" exhaust vent where most other stoves (Harman, Avalon, Lopi) have a 4" vent. Is this because of heat output or performance? Or is this a preference thing for the manufacturer? Talking with Harman and Avalon dealers the stove does not need to be cleaned every day like the Englander. Where does the Breckwell fall into the mix with these units? I like the Avalon and Lopi, but I can purchase a Breckwell for almost $1000 less. Is it worth spending the extra money (which is a little tight right now) and hopefully not get any headaches?

Thanks Steve

Scooby, That was the $750 stove you bought from someone brand new? Did you ever call Englander about the lack of heat?
Maybe you only needed to reset the heat mode and it might have pumped out more heat than you could imagine .

That old addage "you get what you pay for" is often true but the inverse is also often true in that you don`t always get what you paid for. And sometimes you get more than you paid for.
Anyway, I see it as a shame , because you were so happy with the stove just a few weeks ago and now your`e looking for another one that`s gonna cost big bucks.

kinglew said:
breckwell the one to go with imho .

Breckwell, in the past couple of years, have turned to junk. Cheapening up the stoves to save money......

I can't comment on the Breckwell models you are listing but I can speak about the lack of service that I am getting. (see my post on my Breckwell2700) My new breckwell is very noisy and frequently goes out on the low setting. I have made numerous calls to both the dealer and the factory and their willingness to deal with this problem is awful. The dealer agreed to send me a new blower motor to try to fix the problem but he never sent it. He has agreed again to send it...it's not here yet. I really don't think this blower will fix the noise but I'm going to try it. It is just really poor design. I would never buy another Breckwell or recommend them. They do not stand behind their product...at least not in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.