Re-installed Jamestown with dv kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtalea

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
Bristol, Connecticut
Ok guys & gals. I reinstalled my Jamestown 1000b with the direct vent thru the wall kit today,and all went well with the 1st fire of the season (for testing purposes only). My exterior raincap is approx... 32" off ground but directly below is plantings.As I watched from the outside I saw some fly ash go into a withered grassy plant.This is my concern.Is there a normal ground to vent height required or should I just say screw it and install an elbow and vent up 12' +/-

Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated

Matt

The cap clearances would be in the manual. 32" should be fine but check the manual.

Good thought.I will look in there and see if it is stated.

read manual didnt find anything stating clearances from ground.Only spec was 12" away from wall of house..

Then I think it would default to code. Someone else will know more about it.

Ya,I am worried that the existing spark arrestor wont stop flyash/ambers from starting an outside fire.I mean if there were snow at the exit point.no problem,but who knows it could be cold as hell with no snow this year

code will require that that vent exit be 1' above the average annual snow depth so if you live in a zone that gets less than an average 20" it should be ok

Here in MA, because drifting and Co concerns, no exit can be less than 4' Might I also add ,direct vent out the back,is not the best way to vent that stove ,or for that matter any stove

judging from the reasons you posted you have concerns .. That black soot melted siding look really is not all that appealing Flying embers into leaves and dry grass is a hazard

pus if you value the plants below They survived in a better growing enviorment than getting pelted with co co/2 and glowing embers

the installation is a kit I bought right from the manufacture...but i guess the best thing I can do now is to take what I have go vertical,which isn't a problem. That you know of Elk any problem switching from 3" to 4" pipe outside the house? the horizontal stub out the stove is 3" and goes 8" +/- outside my exterior wall.. So I want to convert to 4" from there.what do you all think of that?

To be honest .my response was intended, to fortify what you were already thinking.
not meant to be condescending, but helpful pushing you to make a better decision

The vent question 3 to 4 can be done, but will leave the best way to do it to the pros here

I didnt think you were being condescending at all. Ya and your are right I was already 99% convinced that I didnt like what I saw from that install..perhaps if the stove were on a second floor it would be fine..But I sure dont want to start a fire outside the house. thanks for your input. 10-12' up she is going.

In My Harman manual it called for 18" above grade. This was before the codes were changed so I don't know what they say now in the manuals.
But it also states 36" clearance from vegetation, that is above, below, beside and in front of.....
I have a DV I'm about 4' off the ground and plants will wilt in this area a litte earlier but they come back earlier in the spring as the ground seems to thaw abit quicker :)
I also understand about the Valid concerns that Rod has shown evidence of. However other manufactures have different termination caps, Mine is by metal-fab and is a cone (turbo somethingorother).
Never had soot on the wall and channels the wind away from the flue very well.
If I had it to do all over I would go out and up but at the time I really didn't want to go against the dealer who said this was how they vented all thier stoves.

well I have made up my mind thanks to all of you for confirming my concerns. Up she is gonna go. I have everything to do it except an extra 5' stick of pipe.

Again if anybody has any pros/cons on converting from 3" to 4" outside the house please give me that info..

You can convert to 4" any place you want. Normally it is done right after the T. With the length of vent you have does the manual specify 4"?

no it doesnt specify it but I have that pipe here already.last year I went from stove to a 3-4 increaser and up 4' then out 2' then up 5' all was great.This year I wanted to eliminate the interior pipe look.so i bought the direct vent kit.

Not a pellet person, but what I've seen suggested with the type of setup I think you are describing is to use a "T" that has a 3" input and 4" output and go up with the 4" pipe. So it sounds like you are on the right track.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.