RE: Interesting program in Maine . . . Maine talking about buying up OWBs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/50153.html

Interesting reading . . . now if only I could convince my Dad that his plans to buy a $12,000 OWB is a bad idea and convince him to go with something along the lines of a Tarm (the problem is he started out with an OWB and thinks they're the Cat's Meow).

I have never seen one of these things run without a freaking smokeshow streaming out of them. I know a guy who has one that is only four years old and he wonders why he goes through 10 to 12 cords per year!

Maybe there are some good ones out there?

One of my neighbors has one but he’s far enough away that the smokes don’t cause a problem with the neighbors. He also said he goes through about 12 cords a year.

I have seen just one in use. For the first 10 minutes, it put off a good bit of smoke, then settled down to just a wisp. Less than I have seen coming out of many people's house chimneys. I have heard it depends heavily on what you burn. And there would probably be fewer issues with taller chimneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.