RE: Jotul Oslo corner install and side door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I noticed the Jotul Oslo instructions specifically mention not using the side loading door for corner and alcove installations . . . and for quite a while now I've kind of wondered why Jotul discourages using the side door for corner installations.

I realize the tight space with some corner installations and alcove installations could be an issue, but otherwise why else would the side door use be prohibited (assuming floor protection and side/corner clearance requirements were met)? I figure there must be other manufacturers with side loading doors that allow their use in corner installations (most alcoves might be a bit tight I would imagine).

Yes, this held me off getting the Oslo because I couldn't provide the extra clearance on the left side of the stove. If the stove had a right door, I would have had lots of clearance. Your question is a good one. Some stove mfgs seem to allow the side door in a corner. I recently noticed this with a Hearthstone Heritage.

My Heritage will be installed in a corner and I was concerned that it would be a tight fit. Although my husband and I are small, I was concerned that we would be bumping elbows, wood and tools into the wall. I created a pattern of the stove (29"x21") by using cardboard and placed it on the floor. Visually, it appeared that the recommended distances from the wall seemed a little tight. We decided to order a larger pad so that we can move the stove out 2-4" for more "wiggle room."

I just bought an Olso and I read through the manual - my impression (aside from the standard issue of the side clearances) was that the door being open would probably be close to combustable material. I also figured that some heat would be let out by the side door that could get trapped in the alcove? Just a guess.

I have an Oslo as well and was wondering about this. I spoke with the dealer who was not aware of the requirement. Apparently, prior to this year the manual made no stipulation about it, but lo and behold, when we looked at the manual for 2008, there it is. There is a locking kit you can install which renders the door useless, but allows for normal clearances, meaning only 8 inches of floor protection on the left side. The clearance from the wall in a corner install stays the same, 9 inches off the corners regardless of whether the door is locked or not. I have installed the lock kit and the install has passed both the town and the insurance company. This is a bit of a pain, and if I were someone who didn't worry about the insurance company pulling a fast one if something happened, I might be tempted to remove the lock now. :smirk: but I would never do something like that.

I assume that they are making this requirement because a hot open door would come too close to a combustible. Or it could be that if installed per the recommended 9 inch off the corner minimum then there isn't a full 18 inches of clearance infront of the entire door if put into a 90 degree corner. Just my thoughts.

I'm not sure how long it's been in the manual, but I remember discussing this when we were looking at the Oslo in 2006. It's in the March 2006 copy. Maybe that was when they introduced the change?

I suspect you are right about the clearances sheepdog and wouldn't want to use the side door with less than 18" clearance on that side.

Sheepdog
How hard was it to install the lock kit? Is it easily removeable? I'm having my Oslo installed in two weeks wiith the left door locked for now, but I might do a new hearth pad in the spring.
Hank

Its got to be a real pain using the Oslo front door to load. The ashes seem to get every where and must be cleaned up each time. good luck. It is a great stove but for that. Be safe.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Its got to be a real pain using the Oslo front door to load. The ashes seem to get every where and must be cleaned up each time. good luck. It is a great stove but for that. Be safe.
Ed

Ya no chit, the front door is useless, pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.