Re: Oven not heating up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I have a Kenmore double oven.

Bottom oven works fine.

Top oven is not heating up.

I've replaced the igniter and checked the thermocouple for continuity. Wiring appeared fine. Suggestions?

Is there a separate solenoid that turns on gas to the top oven?

Is there a separate solenoid that turns on gas to the top oven?
I'm unsure. Burners on top of the range work fine as does the lower oven.

Some are spark ignition, some are glow bar, others are constant pilot , or electronic pilot. They use different type ignitors. Which type is this?

Last edited:
I see you used the word igniter, could be spark or glow. Does it look like a light bulb glowing before it should light?
If so, glow bar ignition works on the principal of heat from the element heating the safety valve which is a gas valve actuated by heat. Thermostat controls heating element which heats sensor opening gas valve. The glow bar is hot enough to ignite gas. When gas valve doesn’t open, it could be an open coil in valve not allowing electro magnet to open valve, or a stuck valve mechanically stuck shut if it hasn’t been used in a long time. Tapping on the valve (gently) while heating element is up to full temperature sometimes allows them to open and start working. Try that first before replacing gas safety valve.

Most, if not all ovens work this way, so the ignitor glows all the time with power to it calling for the gas valve to open. Dryers use the same type glow bar, but have a simple switch thermally controlled that when cool, puts power to ignitor. When hot, puts power to gas valve. So they glow and heat the switch, open contact to ignitor when hot, and close contact to solenoid operated gas valve. This type of system only glows when call for heat is on, shuts off ignitor and gas lights at the same time as ignitor starts to cool. This type uses the gas flame for the heat source once ignitor is off to continue to keep switch in hot position, allowing current to flow to gas valve until power is removed by thermostat or other control switches. If your bottom ignitor stays on all time gas is lit, it is not this type. Not sure if there newer ovens that use this style, they didn’t before I retired as a gas man.

Last edited:
Some are spark ignition, some are glow bar, others are constant pilot , or electronic pilot. They use different type ignitors. Which type is this?
Glow bar . . . although it doesn't glow despite being replaced by a new igniter.

Glow bar . . . although it doesn't glow despite being replaced by a new igniter.
OK, thermostat controls power to glow bar. Check for power at glow bar. If none, trace back if you have wiring diagram for where power comes from, or if fused. Is this touch pad electronic, or separate good old fashioned switches?

OK, thermostat controls power to glow bar. Check for power at glow bar. If none, trace back if you have wiring diagram for where power comes from, or if fused. Is this touch pad electronic, or separate good old fashioned switches?

I gave up and opted to hire a repair guy to come in which will be later this week . . . sadly I know my limitations. Thanks for trying to help me though.