1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: Well I thought I was immune to poison ivy . . .

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by firefighterjake, Sep 1, 2013.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    43 years and never had a bit of it despite being outside all the time . . . even went to a motor vehicle accident years ago and was right in the middle of a patch. My wife who was there and the Assistant Chief who were beside me got it bad back then . . .

Ended up with this about a week ago . . . while geocaching in the woods.

I think the worse part is due to the fact that I had a fresh scratch and it may have got infected.

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      133.6 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
    • 035.JPG
      035.JPG
      File size:
      175.1 KB
      Views:
    • 040.JPG
      040.JPG
      File size:
      160.8 KB
      Views:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

My wife accidently sat on some while we were clearing a small lot of downed trees, it was one of those emergency bathroom situations. Hers had black in it, which is the worst, and is actually oxidizing your skin. She went to doctor being in a not so poison ivy friendly place, and was prescribed a steriod cream which cleared it up quick. Dawn soap for initial cleaning (dawn removes oils well, like dishwashing) and a bleach/water mixture to help dry it out. Benadryl anti itch spray to remove the allergic aspect of it and the itch, to reduce spreading. Heal fast!
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Nasty, Jake! Get yerself a squeeze tube of Tecnu Extreme, and a 1 lb. tub of 0.1% triamcinolone acetonide (synthetic corticosteroid) in petroleum jelly. Wash with Tecnu, then apply the steroid. It'll be gone in 24 hours.

If your doctor wants to prescribe prednisone (more common), tell 'em you'd rather have the triamcinolone acetonide.
  4. vinny11950

vinny11950 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    Yikes, Jake. Get better soon.
  5. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Ouch! All I know is to watch out for ivy. I have never seen it so will likely get a bad rash someday...ack.

Hope ya heal soon.

A
  6. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Sorry to hear that. My wife and I both got a nasty case weeding our stone wall earlier in the spring. For mine I was alternating between cortisone and and caladryl lotion hourly and was still in agony for weeks. Catherine's showed up later but was even worse, doc gave her prednizone pills and the reaction she got to that was worse so she stopped.

Our pharmacist gave her that tecnu soap Joful mentioned but it didn't do a thing for us. By the time we had symptoms it was weeks after exposure so the oils where already gone.

Not fun. Hope it clears up soon.
  7. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Sorry to see how bad you got it, Jake. That Tecnu stuff is great. The cleaner and the anti itch stuff. I would keep an eye on what looks like an infection there too.

Good luck. Feel better.
  8. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    You have my sympathy......
    I'm 48 and this summer is the first time I have ever had a problem with it.:( I got it all over my right arm picking rocks.

Yesterday I noticed I was kneeling in it while cleaning the lawn mower. I ran in the house and took a shower right away, :cool:
  9. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    There must be more to that story. No way will poison ivy show up "weeks" after exposure. There was something else going on, or an accidental secondary exposure of which you're not aware.

Skin is funny stuff... exposure to one irritant can cause a rash which will make you more susceptible to other allergens/infections, which might not otherwise bother you.
  10. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
  11. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    Jeremy, your wife is certainly correct. When the reaction to poison ivy shows up that late it suggests your wife had never been exposed to urushiol (the active component in poison ivy) before. What urushiol does is reacting with the proteins sitting on the surface of your skin cells. Those modified protein structures are then recognized by your immune system as "foreign" and therefore classified as dangerous. It takes then about one week for the T cells to be fully active and a few more days until the B cells produce enough antibodies to bind to those modified proteins and initiate a reaction. Although it is commonly referred to as an allergy, it would better be classified as an autoimmune reaction (e. g. like multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis) because the immune system attacks its own cells. Once you had been exposed the body will develop memory cells which ensure a quick reactivation after a new exposure. That mechanism is beneficial when you get your shots but means for poison ivy that you will have a very quick reaction the second time around.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Jake, that is a wake-up call to keep those scratches covered before going into the weeds and woods. Hope you heal quickly as that can be nasty stuff.
  13. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

It's also wonderful stuff. I'm becoming more and more convinced that Skin performs a sacrificial function (like tonsils) by drawing potentially devastating internal infamations to the surface.
  14. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I'm allergic but never hat it look that nasty unless I scratched it raw.
    I'd have a medic look at that ! ;)
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think it's getting better . . . and I'm pretty sure the reason for the worse looking stuff is because I had some scratches on my leg prior to going into the woods. Now I've just got to resist the urge to scratch.