Really low temps coming up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynch said:
going to be -20 below for a few days up here.
day time temps of 2 to 0

Yeah, they're now telling us here it's going to be like that right through Tuesday.

The forecast is minus 5 on Sunday night. Not as bad as some of you further up north. Will get both stoves going and may be make a big pot of chili.

It was -28.2 on the digital thermometer on Martin Luther King morning at my house. The weather service is predicting temps below zero each night, and a high of -3 on Sunday. They also say the temps are expected to reach/exceed -30 this Sunday night into Monday morning across the Tug Hill region, Monday morning's truck startup should be "interesting". I'm shooting for -36 +/- 1 degree, and I'm pretty sure I won't go snowmobiling this weekend. Don't want to be viewed as a girly-man, I'm just sayin'...

TX-L said:
It was -28.2 on the digital thermometer on Martin Luther King morning at my house. The weather service is predicting temps below zero each night, and a high of -3 on Sunday. They also say the temps are expected to reach/exceed -30 this Sunday night into Monday morning across the Tug Hill region, Monday morning's truck startup should be "interesting". I'm shooting for -36 +/- 1 degree, and I'm pretty sure I won't go snowmobiling this weekend. Don't want to be viewed as a girly-man, I'm just sayin'...

Whoa. I think you win the low-temp prize for the easterners on this forum anyway. I was only 6 or 7 below MLK Day morning. Guy just down the road from me about a mile is in a little dip in the valley and he was at -15. So a lot depends on your immediate geography. I'm on the SE side of a low ridge.

It is a balmy 28 degrees here in the tropics at the moment with the wind slowed down to fifteen miles an hour. Not too crazy about the single digits coming tonight but will muddle through somehow.

Stay warm up there guys. Those numbers sound really cold.

gyrfalcon said:
TX-L said:

Whoa. I think you win the low-temp prize for the easterners on this forum anyway. I was only 6 or 7 below MLK Day morning. Guy just down the road from me about a mile is in a little dip in the valley and he was at -15. So a lot depends on your immediate geography. I'm on the SE side of a low ridge.

I'm up in elevation (for this area) at about 1300-1400 feet, but at that elevation I'm nestled between two hillsides in a creek valley. I think that has something to do with it, and the coldest air may settle right in behind the house, but everywhere in the area had readings in the -20s. And they only predicted -5 to -10 that night and missed it by about 15 degrees (I hope that's not the case this weekend). I'll have the Blaze King AND the old school basement stove rocking & rolling.

BrotherBart said:
It is a balmy 28 degrees here in the tropics at the moment with the wind slowed down to fifteen miles an hour. Not too crazy about the single digits coming tonight but will muddle through somehow.

The last time it was -20 outside, about two years ago, I thought it would be maybe a good idea to just step outside for a few minutes to see what it felt like. Put my coat on. Put my hat on. Put my boots and gloves on. Headed for the door. Stopped. Said to myself, "Nah!" turned around went back in to sit by the stove.

Nice thing about a really old home (provided it's in good repair) in a climate like this is it's been through this kind of winter a couple hundred times or so, and all the real problems with pipes and major air leaks have long since been moved or plugged or otherwise taken care of. And the two or three feet of snow we have on the ground right now is actually good insulation for the foundation. My plumber says virtually all of his frozen pipe calls are from people in newer houses.

its pretty cold here....i wouldn't mind except for the god forsaken wind...stopped snowing hours ago but still get the occasional "white out" from the gusting...good times.

BrotherBart said:

I'm awful glad the Dixette is on her way home from a ski trip up Gyr's way (where she said this AM it was a wee bit chilly . The thought of running both stoves they way they'll need it to be done was making me wish for the tropics.

Give me a chance to check out the Envi Bricks ;-)

Well, I loaded up the deck rack (1/4 cord) last night. I'm now officially into my oak supply after burning poplar, pine, and black birch (overnight burns). I now have perhaps 90% oak available to toss in... all of it at least 3 years split (some perhaps 5 years but that was before I owned it).

Now to just hope for the best. I'm sure that if we get that -10 on Sunday I'll be burning some oil. Not a bad thing as it will push some warm air through the vents in the basement to help keep it from freezing up.

Did the same, hauled up few days supply on to the deck, can reach right out the door and grab splits, 10 feet from the stove.
I'll probably hunker down tomorrow, although I might go out and split some of the pine I bucked. It should just about explode
after an overnight of -20*!

I did promise a buddy that comes up on weekends that I'd ski with him at Whiteface on Sunday. Time to break out the down
jacket.

I'm not sure what the wind chill or "real feel" temps are today, but it didn't get over about 10. Downright balmy compared to some of you.
Depending where I get the info., it might get to -1 to -6 tonight. It's been colder. But, not much.
Brother and I were out today working on a house with no heat (remodel), had the salamander going and that helped some, but geez don't go outside.
When I got home, my wife had let the house get down to about 62, but the stove had some fresh splits inside, so it was warming......a little. It's 67 now, so we'll get there.
I'll set the alarm for about 4-5 am to reload, then go back to bed for about 2-3 hours.
Can't wait to put the 30 in here. Might be overkill, but not during times like these, and these happen quite often up here....every year.
Well, gotta go get some more splits from the shed for the night.

I'm kinda excited. Wood ring is full and the house is 72F. I'm just not looking forward to working outside on Monday!

Right now 20°f, 3 splits in the stove, house 72°f.
Nice to have a warm spell.

This is what is forcast for overnight Sun/Monday for New England. Get out the woolies! :ahhh:

Attachments

• min temps.jpg
    min temps.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 229
Wow! I guess I don't feel so bad after hearing some of the other comments on projected lows. I saw something on the news saying somewhere in Minnesota had or will have a record -46 f! But according to what you just posted BeGreen, I'm in central Mass and it's looking pretty pink there!

I remember the coldest I've ever been while working, was during an arctic weather pattern. I was outside in -12 f. all day!! Frozen steam sticking to my eye lashes and eight layers of clothing on my upper body. It was a tough day in the office. My father-in -law was by my side at this UMASS Memorial Hospital job. We were the only ones on the crew who were lucky enough to be outside that day. :lol:

BeGreen said:
This is what is forcast for overnight Sun/Monday for New England. Get out the woolies! :ahhh:

COOOOOOOOOOL map.

But you'll be in the 40's with nice weather &
Not even need an umbrella.

Cold weather for the football games for sure.
With neither being in a dome.
Woolies + insulate coveralls for those fans at a minimum.

And to think, blue used to be my favorite color. >:-(

VCBurner said:
Wow! I guess I don't feel so bad after hearing some of the other comments on projected lows. I saw something on the news saying somewhere in Minnesota had or will have a record -46 f! But according to what you just posted BeGreen, I'm in central Mass and it's looking pretty pink there!

I remember the coldest I've ever been while working, was during an arctic weather pattern. I was outside in -12 f. all day!! Frozen steam sticking to my eye lashes and eight layers of clothing on my upper body. It was a tough day in the office. My father-in -law was by my side at this UMASS Memorial Hospital job. We were the only ones on the crew who were lucky enough to be outside that day. :lol:

I didn't post the two days before. Minnesota gets hammered, but they are a bit more used to it. WI and MI are not too warm either.

Attachments

• mintemps sat.jpg
    mintemps sat.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 190
  • mintemps.jpg
    mintemps.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 190
Remkel said:
More of a concern is I am in the middle of my cutting season- going to have to bundle up and hope for the best.

Glad to see I will not be the only nut this weekend cutting wood. I have 6 maples that need dropped at my parents place....the new Carhartt coveralls my wife got me for xmas will surely be tested tomorrow!

Stay warm!!!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
We're at a balmy 22

Same here. I am thinking about going outside for a moon tan.

Looking at temperatures in Alaska, Vermont and elsewhere, I am really glad I live in Northern Virginia, where it will only get down to 11 or so. For us, that's pretty harsh. We have had to put some milk containers with hot water around some of the plants - pomegranates, rosemary, etc. - to keep them alive through the winter.

bboulier said:
Looking at temperatures in Alaska, Vermont and elsewhere, I am really glad I live in Northern Virginia, where it will only get down to 11 or so. For us, that's pretty harsh.

Yeah. I call this place wood burner's hell because wood is our only heat source. One day it will be 45 with the night in the thirties and the next night hit single digits like we will tonight. It is better for me when it just gets cold and stays cold.

It is a gorgeous night to be outside, even if for only a few minutes. Temp is in the teens and plummeting, wind is fairly calm, bright moonlit sky, and 6" of fresh powder on the ground. It is nice, but it's gonna start getting old pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.