Replacing a low temp disc with a high temp disc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Probably a dumb question but what problems could I run into by replacing a low temp thermodisc with a high temp thermodisc. I have a low temp auger thermodisc that has broken. Why does an auger need a thermodisc? The disc has separated from the frame that attached it to the stove. It ran like that all year. I gently placed it in the frame to stay in place. Funny thing is that when the stove was off while I was cleaning it and the disc came loose from the frame the stove would start up. Can’t explain that.

Well, Breckwell doesn’t make low temp thermodiscs like the one I have. They make high temp thermodisc that looks like it but not low temp. So I was wondering what if I replaced the low temp with the look alike high temp. I did buy a new low temp thermodisc but it looks completely different and it will not fit in the predrilled holes that the old disc fit into.

I can make the new low temp disc work, I think. I purchased an adapter plate (hard to find) that fits over the new disc and supposedly will allow it to attach to the stove as before. I haven’t received it yet so I don’t know if it will work.

I also found on Amazon a low temp disc that looks like the one I have, although I would have to turn up the tabs. Total price would be $50+. $28 for the disc and $17 for shipping, plus tax. Takes 10 days to get here. I might have to get it as a last resort.

So, is replacing a low temp disc with a high temp a doable option?

I think this is a safety switch. If I am correct, it cuts off the auger feed if heat is sensed there. If that is the case, one wants it to turn off sooner than later. Replace it with one of like temperature range.

Reactions: tlc1976
I agree, it’s likely a safety switch set at a certain temperature. I would keep the same temperature. Putting in a higher temperature one would make the stove run, but could be a disaster if fire backed up into the auger and the disc didn’t signal to shut the stove off.

Thermodiscs can be finicky if bad. My safety switch was bad from the factory (Chinese). You walk up to the stove, or close the hopper lid, and sometimes that would be enough to jiggle it and break the connection. Or just lightly tapping on the disc would do it. So I can see with yours, the pressure of tightening the screws could break the connection too. I replaced it with a White Rodgers of the same specs and no more problems.

I’m addition to temperature range, you have to make sure the disc is the same operation type as the original. There is close on rise, and open on rise. Typically a safety cutoff switch will be open on rise.

No

yes you can swap them.. my stove came with one swapped when i purchased it and only difference was the stove took longer to come out of startup mode. Just put new holes in for the new disk and cover the oild with some high temp silicone or some alum tape...

Thanks for all the replies to my dumb/obvious question. Somehow I stumbled on to the thermodisc I needed on eBay. Looks just like the original and it only cost ~$22. Now, if I get it delivered all will be fine.

Personally i will not order the ebay parts anymore unless its actually OEM.. I found with the aftermarket they are cheap and the specs are not the same.. After all the issues i had this year with my stove and replacing them all with oem my stove has never run better

Reactions: ABusWrench