Rebates or Tax Incentive - Pennsylvania???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just following up here...

I've been searching around and it looks like I missed the 10% federal tax credit by about 4 months. I can believe it used to be 30%!

Oh well, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short...

I caught that 30% one in 2010 and on a 3200 dollar stove it was a substantial savings.

Yeah, PA hasn't extended the tax refund (yet). Be sure to check next tax season to see if they extend it for 2014 because it should be retroactive to cover anyone who purchased in 2014.

The part I don't like about the refunds (fed/state) is that they're capped and based on SS#. I updated the HVAC and insulated my last home and maxed out the refund. Now I'm in a much older home that could really benefit from energy saving updates. I believe the refunds should be based on SS# & address. If you move, you should be able to update another residence for the benefit of the nation. Without the added incentive the ROI makes it that much harder to justify cleaning the air. Isn't THAT what .gov should be concerned about?

So, instead of buying a new high eff stove with a 30% savings, I bought a used stove for less than 50% of the cost. All that did was transfer an already existing energy saving device and didn't help further the economy or environment one bit. The government has no idea how to get the most out of incentives, why/how they work, who to offer them to, or how to minimize fraud. It's funny because they allow corps to continually buy and sell energy credits but not citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.