Rebuiding a 3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwachtell

Jan 22, 2007
I am rebuilding a 3CB from parts and have a couple of questions.

1) After I scrape all old cement out of grooves is there a solvent I can use to clean things up and remove dust and ash residue from the surface so that the cement bonds more directly with the cast iron?

2) Should I use adhesive on all gaskets including the ones in the doors ( ash door and front door )?

3) Is there a way to tell if the baffle plate needs to be replaced?

Any suggestions on rebuilding this stove are appreciated.

Thanks Rob

You can use denatured alcohol for clean up. As far as the gasket you should use adhesive to place all of it. Is the baffle plate warped in any way? If not it is more then its fine. I have done a few of these in my day and i have a wire wheel that attaches to my cordless drill. It works great for getting it down to almost bare cast.

+1 on what Jotulguy sad. I just rebuilt my VC Resolute Acclaim. It burns better that new. Wire wheel was quick and easy. I don't recall the 3CB's interior. I did find that lilting the stove slightly with blocks under the front legs helped me get at some of the interior better.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.