Rebuilding an Encore 2550...coupla questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
OK...took most of the inards out...lower fireback, upper fireback, inner side wall, refractor, cat.
Snapped off one bolt in the inner wall...Gotta figure out how to get the stub (flush break) out of the wall...HINTS?
I cleaned the joint areas where there is cement...some chunks came off... I would love to fill these areas with more cement before I put the thing together. Any suggestions on GREAT stuff that will adhere. I brushed and vacuumed, but I am sure that I do not have clean metal to metal surfaces in which a glue could adhere...what do I do?
The instructions do not say to cement the upper fireback in place, but there is clearly old cement that I needed to clear out. If I were to re-cement it, the cement would need to be fairly solid as not to drip...more like a chaulk is what I need.
That's about it...

Wood Heat Stoves said:
ez-out

as for the cement, they sell it in caulking gun tubes for easy app.
scrape/ chisel out the old junk, spray with water( most furnace cement is water soluable, wet is better than dusty)
Well, I really screwed up now...the easy out snapped in the upper fireback shell...No drill bit I own can drill that hardened stuff. I am afraid I am going to have to buy a new upper fireback...DARN!!! I can't even drill a larger hole and tap that...the e-z out is preventing that...cracked flush with the unit.... I need to put the new hole exactly where the old/ occupied one is. This simple job could cost me another $100....

tool hardened steel is hard to drill, no doubt. but a bit that will drill it is possible, and cheaper than a new zc part.
plus since monessan bought them out they have dropped a ton of older parts, i was told they are dropping something like 5000 of the 10000 parts they offered.( i dont sell zcparts so i'm not totally sure...)

e-z answer: get a new stove...

As a last ditch effort, put a dab of JB Weld on the top of the e-z out being careful not to come in contact with the cast iron. Then rig up something to hold a bolt in the JB Weld straight until it sets up for a couple of days.

Otherwise get a carbide bit and drill that sucker out.

AlanS said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
ez-out

as for the cement, they sell it in caulking gun tubes for easy app.
scrape/ chisel out the old junk, spray with water( most furnace cement is water soluable, wet is better than dusty)
Well, I really screwed up now...the easy out snapped in the upper fireback shell...No drill bit I own can drill that hardened stuff. I am afraid I am going to have to buy a new upper fireback...DARN!!! I can't even drill a larger hole and tap that...the e-z out is preventing that...cracked flush with the unit.... I need to put the new hole exactly where the old/ occupied one is. This simple job could cost me another $100....

EZ-out is never the answer for something like this, as you discovered more times than not they break and then your really screwed. I would recommend next time before removing any bolts that you hit them liberally with some PB Blaster a few days ahead of time, the stuff works wonders. If you do happen to break a bolt, file the remainder flat, center punch, and get yourself some left hand drills - you might get lucky and have the remaining stub back out when drilling. If not, drill the appropriate size hole, tap and your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.