Reco needed- should i install a clean out door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mo Lake

Oct 25, 2021
Muskoka, ontario, canada
Hi all, hoping you can help. I have an existing 30 yr old Haugh wood insert in a masonry chimney with a steel liner. I didn't install as I have only been in the house for 13 yrs. I cannot find a sweep that can clean it as it has a welded baffle.( 3 companies have been in). Oddly enough the company that apparently swept it for the previous owner for years, according to them and their inside sales team that kept calling me for sweeping service, also didn't know how to clean it. I did have it cleaned once, they just did it from outside and it smoked like crazy so I called him back and he had to move the stove but was very angry about it, damaged my hearth so don't want him back. Due to the opening size 34"Wx22 3/4"Hx27" deep, with a header that goes back 14 3/4", I am having a hard time finding a new stove that would work. The only one I could find with an angled smoke flue was a stuv and would be about $8K and I am not that interested. One of the sweeps mentioned that I could potentially install an exterior clean out door so the steel liner and top of stove could be reached, btw it has an old offset that you can see in the picture. Do you guys think this could be a solution?

Thanks
Lisa

20211127_100149.jpg 20211127_100155.jpg 20211127_100223.jpg 20211127_110753.jpg 20211127_111204.jpg 20211127_111239.jpg

Hi all, hoping you can help. I have an existing 30 yr old Haugh wood insert in a masonry chimney with a steel liner. I didn't install as I have only been in the house for 13 yrs. I cannot find a sweep that can clean it as it has a welded baffle.( 3 companies have been in). Oddly enough the company that apparently swept it for the previous owner for years, according to them and their inside sales team that kept calling me for sweeping service, also didn't know how to clean it. I did have it cleaned once, they just did it from outside and it smoked like crazy so I called him back and he had to move the stove but was very angry about it, damaged my hearth so don't want him back. Due to the opening size 34"Wx22 3/4"Hx27" deep, with a header that goes back 14 3/4", I am having a hard time finding a new stove that would work. The only one I could find with an angled smoke flue was a stuv and would be about $8K and I am not that interested. One of the sweeps mentioned that I could potentially install an exterior clean out door so the steel liner and top of stove could be reached, btw it has an old offset that you can see in the picture. Do you guys think this could be a solution?

Thanks
Lisa

View attachment 286518 View attachment 286519 View attachment 286520 View attachment 286521 View attachment 286522 View attachment 286523
A clean out won't help. If the baffle isn't removable I would have to pull that stove every time. Which sucks. Why not an insert?

A clean out won't help. If the baffle isn't removable I would have to pull that stove every time. Which sucks. Why not an insert?
I was thinking to clean it from the top ie, unscrew the liner and clean from there - that wouldn't work? It is an insert already. I can't find an new insert that will fit for less than $8K. And it isn't worth it to me. P