Recommendations for a Security System?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
velvetfoot said:
Don,
What does that need to work? Would availability of WIFI do it?

You need one of those computer internet cables with an RJ-45 connector on each end.
It works on either 10 or 100baseT. 100 is much faster than WiFi and wire is more reliable than wireless!!!

See instructions for T-Link 250
http://www.walkerhomesecurity.com/home_alarm_manuals/dsc/29034631r004__web_tl250.pdf

Also see 1616 Alarm Panel instructions. You can learn alot by reading this manual!!

http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=9788

Just dress up like Leatherface when you are cutting up your wood.
Don't think anyone will try robing you. ;-)

Attachments

• leatherface.jpg
    leatherface.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 385
german shepard and a .45acp just in case. i love vermont one of the lowest crime rates in the nation and easiest gun laws i think thats why no one every gets robbed everyone has guns.

My neighbor has guns. Everybody around me has guns (and so will I at some point). Luckily his weren't taken.

I am a fan of the noise makers and motion lights. I don't expect the police to catch anyone. I don't want to have to confront anyone. I do want them to leave and I do want to know that I am being robbed so as to be prepared to defend my (and my family's) life.

Driveway alarms are cheap and effective, motion lights are helpful for more than just security, and motion activated siren in the detached shop since that is what I expect to be attracting thieves. No monitoring.

I have seen monitoring as low as $9/month.
Even if I don't go with central monitoring, I'll still try for noise, lights, and self monitoring, while retaining the central option for later.

I'm looking at doing a self install using a system like Don pointed out.

I could do my whole house pretty easily with 4 or 5 motion sensors which would be a heck of a lot easier than contacts on every door and window.

Will the heat from a pellet stove trip the motion sensors?

You might want to put pressure sensors under hallway carpets, etc., too. I put them on a separate zone so we can walk around with the perimeter alarm set, and turn that zone on when we leave the house.

The change in heat in the room may set off certain motion sensors. It depends on the rate of change of temperature. I would think if the sensor was aimed away from the stove area you'd be all right - you might have to experiment.

I'm still waffling over hardwired or wireless.
I spent all that time insulating the rim joists and basement walls with foam boards, it might be hard to drill down to there.

Running the wired system to the basement, shouldn't be that hard.
If you're running the mag sensors to just the doors, pull one side of the casing off and fish your wire into the jamb space.
To get to the lower level, cut a piece of metal fish tape long enogh to go through the floor, put an angle on the end - basically flexible drill bit.
Check approxmiate area under the door in the basement for any wires/pipes.
Drill through floor, unchuck the drill with the fish tape piece left in, go down stair locate and attach wire, go back upstairs and pull wire up fit it in the jamb area make your connections and your set.

I had Slomins, they were a nightmare. Can't say anything about other companies.

BASOD- Wiring the door contacts sounds pretty easy but how would would you wire window contacts?

And I mean the hidden kind, not those ugly surface mount ones.

If you were going to install then in windows as well, the best time to do it would be when the windows get replaced - probably not planing on this though?

If you have double hung windows you have to have 2 sensors/sash, but in all likely hood if someone breaks in through one its the lower sash.

You can series the sensors from each window if you have a bay/wall of them. I'd do this by removing the trim as well and running the wire behind it.
Getting to the floor is a little tougher there's probably jacking studs at the window corners with king studs on either side.
You could remove the sill, which will require removing both sides of the inner casing, then drilling through the 2x4 sill with a regular bit and trying a larger flex bit kit(they sell them at lowes or online)
You could try the cut fish tape rig but I doubt it's strong enough to drill that far through the floor.

The cutting a channel with a rotozip/dremel in the sheetrock may work they make a ton of dust, and the repair probably won't look all that good and more than likely will crack when you've dryed the house out with the woodstove in the winter. Whatever you do don't cut so deep that you go through the back paper it'll deffinately crack then.
If you go this route though, just pull the base board and drill next the wall to run the wire through, you won't see it back there.

Another option if you don't already have it istalled would be a chair rail moulding around the lower rooms. You could series the wires to each window and run it behind the moulding and then drop it through the floor at any door casing.

we got one put in this winter from a local sec company.

brass tacks- i think most punks (thats what we have around here) will simply bypass the house with a sec system, and move on. i really wanted to know when im away that my house wasnt burning down or someome wasnt breaking in. my wife likes it so she can set it at night when im away. really not that expensive when you factor in the insurance savings.

Go for a simple wireless system. Get door contacts, multiple motion sensors, a loud horn, and put stickers on windows and signs in driveway. I believe this, along with watchful neighbors, will deter that vast majority of criminals. That said, you should have a means of defense inside your home for the unlikley event that the aforementioned is not sufficient or somebody gets stupid when you are at home and the system is not armed.

Weird tolkienish figure said:
Bocefus78 said:
I've always been a fan of the signs that read:

Tresspassers will be shot, Survivors will be shot again!

or

If you can read this, you are in range!

Those 2 paired together will keep most people away.

How about Clint?

EastwoodMyLawn.jpg

just watched that movie. Good Movie

Also (it might have been mentioned already - I haven't read the entire thread) "they" always say a good dog is about the best security system you can have.

I like the sign that says "There is nothing in here worth dying for!"

Despite a desire to go hardwired, I'm currently leaning towards wireless because of the hassle involved with hardwired.

velvetfoot, I'm with you on the desire to go hardwire. The cost of a bunch of wireless sensors is going to add up.

I'm think about going with an Ademco Vista 20p package that includes a 6150RF keypad that also serves as a wireless receiver. That way, I can use the less expensive
wired sensors wherever possible and wireless where running wires is difficult.

I have some vinyl windows that I can't figure out an easy way to wire so I'll probably do wireless on them.

I've going over and over on this.

I'm looking at a DSC 1832 wireless ready kit, that sounds similar to the one you mention. Right now I'm looking at 8 windows that would need wireless, and 5 doors that may or may not. I'm currently just thinking of just going wireless with them as well, even though it might be 150 more, just for the lack of hassle. Still will have to route wire from the panel to the keypad and from the panel to any sirens, which I want one exterior; the sirens won't be a picnic. I'm also thinking of getting a couple of wired smokes (reading up on that now). Not sure if I'll self monitor, (Visionics + relay), but I'm not sure how a voice auto dialer works with a panel that's also attempting to dial a monitoring service. I'm also thinking about this: http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-...s-internet-alert-module-for-dsc-security.aspx . Plus, probably 2 pet immune hardwired motion detectors. Then, don't forget the cabinet lock. Oh, and how about a glass break alarm for the picture and casement windows? So, there's still a lot of wiring, and dollars, lol.

I ordered this stuff today.
Amazing how it adds up.
Now all I have to do is install it. :)

SKU: Product Quantity Price Ext. Price

KIT32-219 KIT32-219 - DSC Power 1832 Wireless Ready Security Kit 1 $188.95 $188.95

FSA-210BT FSA-210BT - DSC 2-Wire Photoelectric Smoke Detector w/ Heat 2 $35.00 $70.00

BS-2021 BS-2021 - Mini Stick-On contact with flange By WINN Security 10 $3.50 $35.00

EV-DW4975 EV-DW4975 - Vanishing Wireless Door Window Sensor 6 $28.25 $169.50

LC-104-PIMW LC-104-PIMW - DSC Dual Technology Motion Detector 1 $42.95 $42.95

SSX-52S-B SSX-52S-B - Amseco Armored Siren Strobe Combination-Blue Strobe 1 $58.00 $58.00

ELK-912 ELK-912 - Relay Module SPDT 12 VDC 1 $8.50 $8.50

CAMLOCK CAMLOCK - DSC Camlock 1 $6.00 $6.00

EVL-2DS EVL-2DS - EnvisaLink 2DS Internet Alert Module for DSC Security 1 $99.00 $99.00

WS4939 WS4939 - DSC Wireless Key Fob 2 $33.95 $67.90

WIN-W4-250 WIN-W4-250 - 250ft 22/4 Solid Station Wire 1 $19.00 $19.00

WIN-W2-250 WIN-W2-250 - 250ft 22/2 Solid Station Wire 1 $16.00 $16.00

AC100 AC100 - DSC Glass Break Detector 1 $31.95 $31.95

Order Notes:
None
SubTotal: $812.75
Shipping: UPS Ground $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $812.75

you can spend all the money in the world for home security, but our greatest threat right now is Internet fraud and identity thief.

Also what is something a thief wants in your home, must likely drugs and small electronics.

I have wireless cameras and if some one did come in I'm better at getting a picture of the thief.

invest in a safe and take a look at investing in home protection as Guns or pepper spray, you really don't want to shoot someone because the laws seem to favor criminals.

lets hope we never have to use any of them

Status
Not open for further replies.