Recommendations for Chimney Brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm wondering if anyone has a link for a chimney brush and extension poles I can buy online. I've got a 6 inch metal stack that runs 26 feet high. When I search for brushes and poles myself, I'm confused as to the best kind to get and what poles work with what brush. Since I buy all kinds of stuff online, I'm finding this surprisingly difficult to navigate. Just want to make sure I wind up with a brush that works well, doesn't damage the stove pipe (or get lost up there) and that has enough length to do the job.

I use these, plus a plastic brush:
http://www.northlineexpress.com/rutland-3-4-x-3-proflex-rod-tlc-4883.html

Not cheap, but the rods bend enough so that I can brush out my insert's flue from the floor.

Edit: The brush would probably still be screwed on, like mine (but maybe not if it has the pro-lock), so you'd want to give it a clockwise twist when brushing.

Reactions: Owen1508
Will any brush fit those poles. My concern is that I'd get something incompatible.

I reached them but they just had one girl on duty who was brand new and didn't know anything. She wasn't even sure if I needed a round or square brush even though I told her I have a 6 inch double walled round metal stove pipe. (One would think the brush would obviously be round but I had questions she couldn't answer, such as best brush material.) She promised to have someone call me back.

I got my set up at the local hardware store. My rods are fiberglass 3/8 diameter x 5 or 6'. I use a round poly brush. I don't have to go around any bends, so the standard stuff works for me. The poly brush is for SS chimneys. They do wear out. Don't fit as tight. I replace mine 3-5 years.

I have a 27 foot chimney and didn't want the expense of the fiberglass rods. I went to the orange home store and picked up three sections of the grey PVC for electrical applications and put a fitting on one end for the brush to screw on. I also have a poly brush.

I don't know where I got this idea, but I have a chain that I lower into the pipe and rattle that around gently...does a fantastic job....my chimney is 15 - 20 foot high...

I don't know where I got this idea, but I have a chain that I lower into the pipe and rattle that around gently...does a fantastic job....my chimney is 15 - 20 foot high...
Thanks for the suggestion. It wouldn't work for me because my stack sticks up like a flagpole. I can only clean it from below.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Sooteater. I have one - it works well but I find takes longer to use that a regular brush and it's messy if you are not really careful.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Sooteater. I have one - it works well but I find takes longer to use that a regular brush and it's messy if you are not really careful.
Thanks so much. I've already purchased a round 6" poly brush but will keep this in mind for the future, particularly if the brush is hard to use or doesn't seem to do a good job. What would you say are the advantages of the Sooteater over a regular brush?

The Sooteater is good because it's very flexible to get around tight bends, and there is no way it can ever get stuck. It also works well cleaning an ovalized liner. It's very reasonably priced.

The bad part is it takes a lot longer to use than my rope and brush method and it makes a really bad mess of my drill :(.

Last edited:
Thanks. Since mine is a straight pipe (26 feet vertical) and round, perhaps the brush will work just as well.

Another vote for sooteater. I'm not a fan of heights so w/ a sooteater I don't need to go up on the roof. After I helped my friend and father-in-law clean their chimneys w/ my sooteater they both purchased one.

Today, I managed to clean the chimney for the first time. Just used a round 6" poly brush and four six foot fiberglass poles. Got quite a bit of soot out. I'd estimate at least three cups. Was definitely time. Seemed to come pretty clean. I could tell when I hit the cap because there was a hallow sort of thud. The cap has no screen so I think we should be good to go for the coming burn season (once Blaze King returns my stove). :0)

What kink of fiberglass poles did you get; are they flexy? My situation is that they have to do a 90 degree bend through the insert.

I'm not sure what kind. They are fairly flexible but it's not super easy to bend them. Fortunately mine is straight vertical. We chose one of the few spots in the home where it would not be necessary to bend the pipe because we wanted to ensure good draft. Our home sits in a bit of a hallow and we were warned about the possibility of draft problems. We wound up having to raise the pipe. Things have been better since then but on certain days we still get major down drafts. At those times smoke billows into our yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.