Recommendations for fireplace insert + SS flue liner in Boston area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

biggytre

Aug 21, 2020
Melrose, MA
Looking to install a fireplace insert + SS flue liner and live in Boston area. Does anyone have recommendations of reputable companies to work with?

I’d recommend using a certified sweep to install instead of using whatever store you buy from.

I use SweepNMan every couple of years for a cleaning and once over look. They are probably a little more expensive for some things but everyone I’ve dealt with has always been good and honest.

https://sweepnman.com/chimney-fireplace-services/
Thanks for advice. The quote I referenced in my other post ($8,000 for installation of SS liner including 1/2" foil faced insulation blanket + stainless armor mesh + an additional $1,600 for removal + disposal of clay flue tiles for 30' of chimney ) is actually from Sweepnman (they cleaned my flues right after I bought house) and I'm looking for other quotes. I think a lot of the places that sell wood burning inserts around here outsource installation to chimney sweep companies.

Thanks for advice. The quote I referenced in my other post ($8,000 for installation of SS liner including 1/2" foil faced insulation blanket + stainless armor mesh + an additional $1,600 for removal + disposal of clay flue tiles for 30' of chimney ) is actually from Sweepnman (they cleaned my flues right after I bought house) and I'm looking for other quotes. I think a lot of the places that sell wood burning inserts around here outsource installation to chimney sweep companies.
Although that quote was pretty high, it is good that the company was talking about insulating the liners and what not. Keep in mind that’s basically the standard way of installing properly. If you hear from other companies that insulation is not needed, they Would be incorrect.

Well no, many stove shops outsource to "installers" who do the absolute minimum they can get away with to keep price and time on the job to a minimum. Many of them will schedule 2 or 3 installs in a day.

Well no many stove shops outsource to "installers" who do the absolute minimum they can get away with to keep price and time on the job to a minimum. Many of them will schedule 2 or 3 installs in a day.
Good to know. I think it's a mixed bag around here. One stove shop I just called said they use Sweepnman (the sweep I got original quote from) for installs and the second one I called was more along the lines of what you were talking about - use "installers" that don't work for a specific company they're willing to reference by name, etc.

You can try www.csia.org to look for registered chimney sweeps in the area.

Yeah I can see why you would be looking around for quotes. I also have used Safe Chimneys to do a new chimney cap. They were good, but SweepNMan was a little more local for me. If / when I need to do any work, they would be on the list as well. I didn’t mention them before because it was a few years ago and I forgot their name.

Safe Chimneys

What town in the Boston area?

I know a former BI who worked there. I'll ask him.
I sadly lost the contact info of a sweep that worked part time for an oil company who was also a FT firefighter in Medford. Super nice guy.

Reactions: biggytre
Although that quote was pretty high, it is good that the company was talking about insulating the liners and what not. Keep in mind that’s basically the standard way of installing properly. If you hear from other companies that insulation is not needed, they Would be incorrect.
is there not a difference depending on internal chimney vs external chimney? my understanding is insulated is need on external chimneys because of the exposure to cold.

is there not a difference depending on internal chimney vs external chimney? my understanding is insulated is need on external chimneys because of the exposure to cold.
It's more based on clearance requirements for the masonry chimney. 2" interior and 1" exterior. It's uncommon to see these honored, especially in older houses. An exterior chimney will definitely benefit more from an insulated liner. It helps keep the flue gases hotter which improves draft and can reduce creosote buildup.

You can try www.csia.org to look for registered chimney sweeps in the area.

Just make sure to inspect the work. I had a CSIA certified sweep company do mine and it was subpar... Had to ask them to come back to fix the job. Still wasn't ideal but I'm satisfied enough.

Just make sure to inspect the work. I had a CSIA certified sweep company do mine and it was subpar... Had to ask them to come back to fix the job. Still wasn't ideal but I'm satisfied enough.
maybe pay by credit card for protection, or hold back 10% until satisfied.