Recommendations on small epa wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillbilly549

Oct 8, 2019
West Virginia
We are building a cabin that is 16x26 overall, 16x16 living space on First floor and 16x26 on second (10x16 porch first floor). Just bought a Fisher Papa bear for a good price on Craigslist but I can't imagine any scenario where it won't cook us out.

Wondering if there's a good option under 1K for an EPA stove thats suitable to our sq footage (672 sq ft)? Hard to find suggestions....most small stoves I've seen are rated for double that or more.

Thanks

20191005_090745_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the papa bear will cook you out. There are a number of stoves that are better sized. Look at the smaller Englander and Century stoves. Will this be supplemental heat or the sole source? Will the cabin be lived in full time or just a weekend and vacation cabin?

One caveat: a modern stove will need fully seasoned wood to burn properly and around a 15' tall flue system. Oak takes at least 2 years to season after being split and stacked. Ash takes a year.

Yes, the papa bear will cook you out. There are a number of stoves that are better sized. Look at the smaller Englander and Century stoves. Will this be supplemental heat or the sole source? Will the cabin be lived in full time or just a weekend and vacation cabin?

One caveat: a modern stove will need fully seasoned wood to burn properly and around a 15' tall flue system. Oak takes at least 2 years to season after being split and stacked. Ash takes a year.
Sole source. Full time.

I'll take a look at those recommendations. Thank you.

Reactions: Hillbilly549
I have a 16x25 ft cabin. I walk into a cold cabin and need to heat it up in a reasonable amount of time.

I use a PE T5 for the job, but it's a bit large for the job. It'll cook you out now. It's much better when it's-20F.

Before this, I had the Century in my signature. It was a fine, tiny, stove and did a great job. The downside was it took longer to heat the place up from ambient temp, and it didn't have a long burn time.

Heating a cabin is going to be a compromise of sorts. You can cheat a bit with stove size by using thermal mass to slow how fast the heat is released as well as blower use. If you will be living at the cabin full time you dont have to heat the place up from cold and can get away with a smaller stove. If you can store firewood an be assured its quality you can get a cat stove and youll do better in the shoulder seasons. This spring, my firewood washed away in the spring flood. I knew this was a possibility, so i chose a non cat stove that would give me a bit more fudge room with marginal quality wood.

In order to choose the right stove for your needs, you'll have to look closely at the capabilities you want and wood supply. One other important factor for me was hearth requirements and clearance to combustibles. There isn't a lot of room in these small places, I don't want to lose a lot of my floor to the stove.