Recovering heat from chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal M

Oct 26, 2015
Ottawa
We have had a Pacific Energy Alderly T5 wood stove for a number of years now. We are in a split level, high-ranch style house with three levels. The wood stove is on the first (entry) level.

In the room with the wood stove the first part of the chimney is exposed. On the level above that, the chimney goes through a small chase at the end of my bedroom closet. Above that, the chimney goes through the attic and then out through the roof.

I don’t like the thought of the heat being wasted and there is a lot of heat coming off the chimney that is within the chase at the end of my closet.

A few years ago I put a vent at the bottom and at the top of the chase to circulate some of the heat out into the room. But, I was wondering if there is a better, proper/safe way of sucking the heat from this chase to allow it to heat up our bed room.

Thanks for you input.

Hal

Welcome to the forum!

What you are writing here has me a bit concerned:
I don’t like the thought of the heat being wasted and there is a lot of heat coming off the chimney that is within the chase at the end of my closet.

After the first ceiling penetration the chimney should be class A which should not give out much if any noticeable heat. Do you know the kind of pipe you have? Any labels?

How tall is your chimney overall? PE stoves are usually very efficient meaning they don't waste a lot of heat up the flue. That said they also draft easily and your setup sounds like you could have a little overdraft situation. Maybe restricting the air supply a bit more would be helpful. How hot does the stove get? How far down do you close the air control once the fire is going?

Venting the chase is fine. The top and bottom grilles allow good convection. No need to do anything more.

Welcome to the forum!

What you are writing here has me a bit concerned:

After the first ceiling penetration the chimney should be class A which should not give out much if any noticeable heat. Do you know the kind of pipe you have? Any labels?

How tall is your chimney overall? PE stoves are usually very efficient meaning they don't waste a lot of heat up the flue. That said they also draft easily and your setup sounds like you could have a little overdraft situation. Maybe restricting the air supply a bit more would be helpful. How hot does the stove get? How far down do you close the air control once the fire is going?

The chimney is 6 inch double walled. Type: ICC; Brand: Excell. About 18 feet high. It goes straight up from the wood stove. Once the fire gets going the damper lever is at the low setting. I'm not sure the temperature of the stove. Everything as it is set up passed the city and WETT inspection.

I have a very similar set-up.
My chase is steel studs and 3/8" drywall with a 9" X 7" vent top and bottom, it warms the bedroom nicely with a steady warm flow sucking cool air from the floor below an adjacent window.

Status
Not open for further replies.