Red oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
Screenshot_20240406_171820.jpg

Reactions: johneh
That stump looks like poplar to me.

Are some of the rounds in the pic in your first post from that tree?

When I first looked at that pic I thought some of the rounds with the really smooth, gray bark looked like poplar. If they're from that tree, it probably is poplar. And, yes, the split looks like poplar to me.

Are some of the rounds in the pic in your first post from that tree?

When I first looked at that pic I thought some of the rounds with the really smooth, gray bark looked like poplar. If they're from that tree, it probably is poplar. And, yes, the split looks like poplar to me.
Yes everything in the first picture is from the same tree.

Then too bad, not red oak but poplar.

Red Oak has that great smell like a fine wine, poplar has no smell and weighs half or less than red oak.

Anyone out there have any experience cutting or splitting or burning Metasequoia, aka Dawn Redwood? We have a couple of big ones- we think they also might be bald cyprus- that are ruining our paved area at our sailing club because of the way the roots emerge out of the ground and take over things.

Red Oak has that great smell like a fine wine, poplar has no smell and weighs half or less than red oak.

Up North here, at least, fresh cut poplar is quite heavy because of its high moisture content. When dry, it's similar to dry white pine - light as a feather. I like the small, but that'd be a pretty funky "fine wine" your red oak smells like!😝