Regency i1200 - North to South Loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjm457

Jan 10, 2012
SW Virginia
Hello all and Happy Thanksgiving! Well, after approx. 4 years of burning, and being a newbie at the onset, along with advice from those on here and some experimenting, I'm really enjoying my i1200!

I did want to mention (maybe for others that have this insert), that for me at least, this insert excels when it is base loaded North to South. This, with starting top down has proven to be the key for me with this unit.

I cut larger splits between 8-8.5" for the bottom and then cross some smaller/longer splits east to west with some kndling topped off with a Rutland square and I'm on my way! I really don't have to poke and prod too much either burning this way.

Guess we all have our preferred methods, but in my unit, North to South works best.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season!

Last edited:
Wow, that must be fun cutting such small pieces. I have the same unit, I'll have to give this a try. What kind of temperatures are you getting? How hot do you let it get?

Well, I really don't pay too much attention to the temperatures anymore. I just make sure I don't overload it so it doesn't overfire. I start with door slightly open, wait about 5-10 minutes, shut door and then throttle the air down in increments. I do wait until near the end of the burn cycle to reload. Whenever I started east to west, it just stifles it more and I had to poke way more often. And of course the wood has to be dry/seasoned! It works best for me with this method.

Reactions: NickDL
Status
Not open for further replies.