Regency I3100 on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SterlingSL

Nov 4, 2010
Dallas Tx
Just plunked down for the Regency I3100. I've been reading the thread about block-off-plates with interest. I asked the installer/dealer if they would install one - nope. They said they install some kind of seal near the top of the chimney. They did however say they would "stuff the damper area with insulation" if I wanted them too.

I was told my existing fireplace is a "heatform by Heatilator". Basically there is a damper, which is currently frozen shut, and you can see some heat capture tubes when you look up the chimney. The installer said they are going to have to cut 2-3 of those tubes out to get the flue in there and possibly some of the existing damper. My question: is stuffing the pre-existing damper area with insulation going to be sufficient or should I go ahead and do the block-off-plate. They have agreed to do the installation in two phases to allow me to get the block-off-plate made and installed (by me as I know of no one that will do that). I don't want to go to the trouble though if their solution of lining the area with insulation will be just as good.

Thoughts?

FWIW, when I installed an insert into an existing chimney, I used a block off plate. It kept the cold air that was present in the entire length of the chimney from drafting down into the house. I had some 1/8" steel sheared to size and trimmed the hole with a jig saw. Some Roxul insulation would be a plus.