Remote Smoke Alarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_Sharp

Feb 24, 2015
Spokane, WA
Anyone using a remote smoke alarm as in; the sensor being in a separate building or area and the alarm being in your bedroom or ?. If so, can you share your setup.
TIA!

Reactions: GT_Sharp
A little different than the set-up you describe in another building but we have interlocked smoke detectors were one will alarm from smoke and trigger the other alarm(s) ie one in the basement, first floor, second floor. If there is a problem in the basement, those in the second floor bedrooms will hear about it in short order. Placement to avoid nuisance alarms is the important part to keep these effective. Not sure what the range is for distance between.... Some systems can be set up with all interconnected hardwired; one hardwired and others battery; all battery powered. I have been happy with the kidde brand ones we are using.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Alert-Wireless-Onelink-Smoke-and-Fire-Detector/10099165
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Ha...larm-with-Battery-Backup-RF-SM-ACDC/100655551

Simplisafe you can setup text alerts

I also use the First Alert ones except mine are a combination smoke / CO alarm.

Wow, thanks for the great links! Looks like either the First Alert or Kidde will fit the bill. Will do some further reading and let y'all know the decision I make.
Thank You all, really appreciate the responses! :cool:

Reactions: pen
I have the Kidde wireless interconnected smoke alarms on all three floors, in the garage and in the generator shed. One goes off, they all go off. I like the fact that if I am outside and one in the house lights off I can hear the one in the garage or the shed.

In our old house we had the kiddie ones that were interconnected, but they would randomly go off for no apparent reason. Some times during the middle of the night. We never did figure out what was wrong with them. In our new house we installed the combination first alert battery operated wireless interconnected ones an have had no issues so far.

Look forward to seeing how you like them down the road.
I'll give a full report.
In our old house we had the kiddie ones that were interconnected, but they would randomly go off for no apparent reason. Some times during the middle of the night. We never did figure out what was wrong with them. In our new house we installed the combination first alert battery operated wireless interconnected ones an have had no issues so far.
Appreciate the heads up! I'm gonna give 'em a whirl and we'll see how it goes. How often did you get the false alarms?

I'll give a full report.

Appreciate the heads up! I'm gonna give 'em a whirl and we'll see how it goes. How often did you get the false alarms?
A couple times a week. They were all hardwired ones. I don't know if it was a power issue or what was causing them to go off. Sure scares the crap out of you when they go off at night. Maybe it was just one faulty one, but there was 6 in the house and they all go off at once.

Just our experience, but we have had the Kidde battery ones for five years. The only time they go off is if I burn toast in the kitchen or forget to move the one in the genney shed when I first fire up a generator because they puff smoke when they first fire off. I have to wonder if Wisneaky's were hard wired ones.

ETA: Question answered. We were typing at the same time.

Just our experience, but we have had the Kidde battery ones for five years. The only time they go off is if I burn toast in the kitchen or forget to move the one in the genney shed when I first fire up a generator because they puff smoke when they first fire off. I have to wonder if Wisneaky's were hard wired ones.

ETA: Question answered. We were typing at the same time.
Yes they were hard wired.

If there was a power surge or loss of voltage at one would that set them off?

What I was wondering. I went with the battery ones for convenience and because we have so many extended power outages.

First alert hardwire first floor and basement. First alert battery on second floor. So far we have never had an issue in 4 years of having them. All floors go off together, sure does freak out the cat and dog!

Got the 4 Kidde RF-SM-DC smoke alarms yesterday via UPS. Set the dip switches all the same and tested. Work as advertised and they are sensitive. No issues what so ever. Very pleased. I'll report back in a few months. So far so good!

Status
Not open for further replies.