Removing a SS chimney Liner (heavy creosote)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tuna_

Sep 5, 2017
Pa
I purchased a home this year, and the previous owner burned same day cut wood in a Daka wood burning furnace into a 15 ft chimney into which he installed a 6" SS bendable chimney liner.The ******* guy did this for three winters. To make a short story even longer the guy cut out the existing oil furnace and tank leaving the old piping, wiring, and zoneflows/

I'm pretty sure this liner needs to go, as the bottom portion connecting to the stove has creosote hard as a rock. I've already damaged the bottom elbow between the stove and chimney.

My issue now is removing this chimney liner with a 1" + thick layer of creosote on all sides of the liner all the way down. I've tried a few times to get it out with no luck as of now. I do not see indication that the liner was sealed to the existing chimney clay liner.

My questions:

What else can I do to get this liner out?

I honestly don't mind paying someone to do it I'm just not sure I can stomach a 4 digit bill. What might expect that bill to be?

The chimney and clay liner are in good shape. Thank god he did install the stainless liner over top...I am told the only reason he probably didn't burn the house down was because he never got a fire burning hot enough.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hook a hoist to the top and yank it out. The seams might pop and the you pull it out by unraveling it. But it will probably pull out. I am curious how you know the clay liners are in good shape if there is a liner in there

Thanks what type of hoist set up? I've already popped the top and it did start to unravel a bit so I stopped. I'm worried about it breaking in the middle with nothing to hold onto. And the liner, I guess i don't know that for sure. A family friend is a mason and looked in the bottom and down the top and thought the clay was in good shape. So your right no one can speak for the center. the chimney is about 25 years old and it was used for oil furnace service prior to the SS liner being installed 3 years ago.

Thanks what type of hoist set up? I've already popped the top and it did start to unravel a bit so I stopped. I'm worried about it breaking in the middle with nothing to hold onto. And the liner, I guess i don't know that for sure. A family friend is a mason and looked in the bottom and down the top and thought the clay was in good shape. So your right no one can speak for the center. the chimney is about 25 years old and it was used for oil furnace service prior to the SS liner being installed 3 years ago.
It might break yes then you need something to getahold of it with. We use a screw thong that is meant to grab birdsnests on the end of rods that usually snags it. If it already started to unravel that is probably the rout you will have to go. Get good gloves that stuff is really sharp