Removing heatform and relining firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

the4machin3

Oct 2, 2020
Binghamyton, NY
Looking for help on a stove installation I’ll be starting soon. I have a masonry chimney with a metal heatform firebox. I want to remove the heatform, remove the stone facade, and use the enlarged space to put a wood stove (Drolet Columbia II) maybe 1/2 in and 1/2 out? My main question is: once the heatform is out, the ”firebox” would be unfinished masonry block. What can I put on that to make it 1. safe to have a woodstove inches from it, and 2. Look good?
9A33778D-3FE0-4A95-A0C2-9E9C7D8E0E98.jpeg

Looking for help on a stove installation I’ll be starting soon. I have a masonry chimney with a metal heatform firebox. I want to remove the heatform, remove the stone facade, and use the enlarged space to put a wood stove (Drolet Columbia II) maybe 1/2 in and 1/2 out? My main question is: once the heatform is out, the ”firebox” would be unfinished masonry block. What can I put on that to make it 1. safe to have a woodstove inches from it, and 2. Look good?View attachment 276124
You don't need to put anything on it to make it safe to have a stove close to it. But you do need to still pay attention to clearance to combustibles unless you have 8" of masonry with firebrick or 10" without.

You don't need to put anything on it to make it safe to have a stove close to it. But you do need to still pay attention to clearance to combustibles unless you have 8" of masonry with firebrick or 10" without.
Okay, don’t need to, but what works to make it look better? Could I basically spackle over it with refractory cement?

Okay, don’t need to, but what works to make it look better? Could I basically spackle over it with refractory cement?
No need to use refractory. You can just parge with regular mortar

Reactions: the4machin3
What is on the backside of the cement blocks? Is it combustible or just out in free air? If it is 8" cement block then a veneer of 2" thick brick could be applied.

What is on the backside of the cement blocks? Is it combustible or just out in free air? If it is 8" cement block then a veneer of 2" thick brick could be applied.

I’m not sure how thick the backside of the chimney is. I assume just a single course of cement block. But on the backside is an interior wall. It shouldn’t be a problem getting some more thickness back there to make it safe.