Removing Majestic Prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boltzmann

Sep 6, 2009
Maryland
I am removing an old Majestic wood fireplace and can't figure out how to lift off the galvanized chimney flue. I have opened up the sheetrock enclosure. It appears that the flue pipe rests on the fireplace and I have to lift it to slide out the fireplace. There are no straps holding the double walled pipe. Went up on the roof, took apart the cap, etc. but each of the two inner pipes are clearly "snapped in" to something.

Do I have to destroy the flue to get it out?

I would like to move our pellet stove to the location and install a flue adapter (4" to 8") and use the cap assembly and part of the existing flue. I figure I will have to support the flue pipe with straps.

I would not dump a pellet stove into that flue IMO. Run a new type L rigid pellet vent out through the chase / roof.

To get it off, we use a sawzall. Smash it all flat and toss it in the dumpster. Thats about all the used prefab ZC chimney is worth.

boltzmann said:
I am removing an old Majestic wood fireplace and can't figure out how to lift off the galvanized chimney flue. I have opened up the sheetrock enclosure. It appears that the flue pipe rests on the fireplace and I have to lift it to slide out the fireplace. There are no straps holding the double walled pipe. Went up on the roof, took apart the cap, etc. but each of the two inner pipes are clearly "snapped in" to something.

Do I have to destroy the flue to get it out?

I would like to move our pellet stove to the location and install a flue adapter (4" to 8") and use the cap assembly and part of the existing flue. I figure I will have to support the flue pipe with straps.

Take it out when you remove the ZC FP. Like JPT10181 said, vent your pellet burner out the back.
It's entirely feasible to run a liner up the chase - inside the ZC vent, but why put that much extra strain on the combustion blower?
It's a lot less load on that blower to run pellet vent out the shortest way possible.
Before you destroy everything in the chase, tho,
get your self some plumber's strapping & secure the vent to the chase framing with zip screws.
That way you can destroy the lowest section & get the fireplace out.
WEAR WORK GLOVES!
With the help of another body, one of you can support the ZC vent while the strapping is cut,
removing one section at a time. Then go back to the chase top & seal it - with a piece of aluminum
siliconed & zip screwed to the old one, or remove the old top & replace it with a new aluminum one.
Then insulate the chase by building a deck over the new unit...

To All,

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I pretty much destroy it. The location is on an inside wall so can't run the pellet stove a short distance out. Temporary straps are a good idea tho because it probably is pretty heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.