Rental home fireplace help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrnine324

Dec 21, 2014
United States
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and also new to ever having a fireplace so I've got a couple of questions if anyone can help. I've attached some photos of my empty fireplace just as it was when we moved in. It obviously is a gas fireplace, or at least intended to be but I can't find out what needs to connect at the end of that gas pipe, if anything at all. I'd like to use the fireplace as a real wood burning fireplace without any crazy modifications. A grate cannot sit there because that pipe is 5+ inches above the bottom which interferes. The landlord says the fireplace flue and chimney should be safe to use, and upon my inspections looking up with flashlight, I'd say it's ok. Now, my question is, can I just use a pipe wrench and turn the gas pipe upside down or towards the back so that my grate can fit there and just use it as a wood natural fireplace? If not, what can I do or what do I need to buy? I look foward to your replies. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9671.JPG
    IMG_9671.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_9672.JPG
    IMG_9672.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_9673.JPG
    IMG_9673.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 140
You need to have a professional sweep or installer check that chimney out and get rid of the pipe all the way. Is it hooked up to a natural gas or propane line? If so I wouldn't even try it

It's hooked up to the natural gas line, with the key at front to turn on and regulate gas. I'll get a sweep to come tomorrow hopefully to inspect, but hoping to use fire for Dec 25th. I can't modify too much though being a rental home.

are you planning on calling a sweep tomorrow and hope to have fire by the 25th or did you scedule an inspection already? if you are calling tomorrow good luck with that

Glad your having it looked at but getting a gas line hot :rolleyes: You might get hotter than you want

I think it would be a bad idea to use this before having it inspected and approved for wood burning. All kinds of bad things might happen on your Christmas Day.

Reactions: Osagebndr
What I'm confused on I guess is, if it's still a gas assisted fireplace, that gas pipe would get hot anyways so in my mind it seems it's made to get hot. Or is it meant to be one of those fake log looking things? I've also heard of the fireplaces that only use the gas to get the wood fire started, then you turn gas off and let the wood continue burning, in that same case, that pipe would get very very hot too.

that is absolutly not a log lighter it is also a weird location for a log set to though not sure what it is. That is why you need to have it looked at

Alright, well I'll just hope to get a pro sweep soon and see what he/she says. Or, I'll call my brother-in-law who is a certified HVAC technician to see if we can easily remove that pipe but still allow it to go back in after I move out. Who knows, it might just easily unscrew. Thanks for all the help everyone.

You're not ready to use it as a wood stove. May sure you also get renter's insurance just in case you burn the house down.

Not sure renter's insurance covers negligence. Starting a wood fire in a gas fireplace might constitute negligence...or possibly an entry for a Darwin award.

Reactions: Spletz
Alright, well I'll just hope to get a pro sweep soon and see what he/she says. Or, I'll call my brother-in-law who is a certified HVAC technician to see if we can easily remove that pipe but still allow it to go back in after I move out. Who knows, it might just easily unscrew. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Dude...step away from the fireplace.

Not sure about that.

Insurance does generally cover stupidity, and that might be a valid defense in this case. :)

Either way, his heirs will have a battle in court to collect.

Most insurance companies will ask for an inspection of the hearth system before they agree to a policy. So if something doesn't look right, they will not insure you. In addition, it's a good idea to let them know that it's your second source of heat, not primary. They are skittish about fire.

Most insurance companies will ask for an inspection of the hearth system before they agree to a policy. So if something doesn't look right, they will not insure you. In addition, it's a good idea to let them know that it's your second source of heat, not primary. They are skittish about fire.

This isn't a hearth system the OP is talking about, just a fireplace. I doubt his insurance company will send someone to inspect it before issuing a renter's insurance policy. When I had my wood stove installed, I called my insurance company to let them know. They didn't send an inspector...

Status
Not open for further replies.