Repair old but free stove or buy new?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasher

Oct 26, 2007
NW Connecticut
I have been reading these forums for about a year, when my wife and I started looking at inserts. A lot of information, but I have been searching for the last couple days (instead of working) and did not see anything that will help me with my delimma...

I live in a fairly new house (built 2002) 2300 sq ft, with an open floor plan. My living room has an open fire place and the unfinished basement has a brick mantel / platform for a stove. One of the things that I loved about this house when looking, was the wood fireplace. Of course I burned as much wood as I could over the last winter, only to realize that I am wasting money on heating. So last winter my wife and I started shopping for an insert for the living room.

After looking at many dealers and on line, we fell in love with the Quad 4100i. But the cost of the stove and the cost of a SS liner was going to be about 4 grand (we estimate). So last winter, we suffered with an occasional fire in the fireplace, and I found that I could not enjoy a fire that much, knowing it was costing me money.

But last weekend, a neighbor down the street (who has a outside wood furnance) and I were at a party, having cold beers and talking about his wood furnance. I mentioned that I really wanted an insert. To which he said...I have one in my garage, you can have it for free. We walked (stumbled more like it) over to his place and I took a look at it. Of course I said I will take it and he dropped it off at my house yesterday.

Now I am at the point of do I fix up this older stove and put it in, or go with with the one that my wife and I prefer, the quad 4100i? Maybe you guys can help with trying to decide...

Here are the details that I know about the stove sitting next to my garage right now...

It is a Avalon 1196. Which I confirmed by calling the dealer, is the older Olympic stove.
A new glass is needed for the door (broken) cost around $100
The brass trim on the door is not in the best condition. Not sure if I can buff it out or replace. Replace is $200
New bricks...38 of them at $3 each.
New surround...Old one is not in the best condition...$150
New Blower...neighbor told me that I should get a new one....$250
Gasket for door...?

Overall, without a new door, I am looking at $500. With a new door...$700.
I talked to the dealer and he said to check the baffles to see how they are. But since the stove is older (about 10 years) he mentioned that they are probably welded in. If I could, I would look at replacing the baffles. If I cannot not, I am not sure what condition they are in. I will checking them this weekend.

If I go with fixing the old insert or buyin new, I still need the SS liner put in. I would do it myself, but my chimney is about 30 feet high and I do not have a ladder that big. So do I spend the money to fix the Avalon or suck it up and buy the quad?

A couple things to remember when replying...
Looks wise, both the wife and I love the looks of the quad. Hands down.
The stove is about 10 years old. Has much changed in stoves in the last 10 years?
I will be finishing up the basement in the next couple years and putting a stove down there for heat. I was planning on a free standing stove, but thought about putting the Avalon down there as well. But I think it would not look right having a insert sitting on an open platform.
So...do I drop just under a grand fixing up this old stove, or around 2 grand for the quad?

One other thing...my house is new and fairly tight. The Avalon does not have outside air, the quad does. I have read pages of debate on the outside air, and I am pretty sure that I want it. My current fireplace already has the outside air installed. And with the open fireplace, I saw a huge difference in using the outside air.

What to do?

Howdy, what part of CT? I used to live in Cornwall.

I'd shop around for a better used stove. What is the nearest city? Torrington, Farmington? How far can you travel to get a stove? Do you have a way to get it to your house? There is a new craigslist for NW CT. Check it out frequently, the good buys go very quickly.

Or get a new Englander insert. You should be able to order one via Home Depot. Not as big a stove as the Quad, but still a good one and at a much better price. Or do like Brother Bart did, put a big new 30NC in the fireplace opening.
http://www.englanderstoves.com/13-nci.html

My stove would be PERFECT in that house

MORSO 3610

If I have the money, and it's something I really want, I get what I want. I usually don't have the money so I get something else and I'm usually reasonably happy. I wanted a NEW NC30 Englander, I got a used Lopi Endeavor. I'm reasonably happy. Some people would say I should be glad I got second choice.

Lasher, I suggest you bite the bullet and buy a new insert, for piece of mind and a good night's sleep if nothing else.With the new insert at least you will know what you've got and some sort of a warranty.With the old insert you're unsure of both its' safety and efficiency.....appearance should factor in here as well....you'll be seeing this insert day in-day out for years....best to be happy with its' looks.
I'm also a stickler for doing things right the 1st time around-BUT,it's your $$$ I'm talking of spending here,not mine.Good luck in whatever decision you come to.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to go with the new Quad. The costs you see now for refurbishing that old insert are exactly that, what you can see now and they will go up the farther along you go with the refurb. I did an expensive overhaul of my old stove last year only to end up having to replace it when I found a hidden crack in the firebox after all of the work and expense.

Get the new stove you really want. It will be with you for a very long time and serve you well. And rest assured that you didn't spend a thousand more than the old insert would have cost you. It will end up being maybe $500-$600 more by the time you get nickeled and dimed to death during the rebuild process. Just the shipping costs alone on all of those parts aren't going to be cheap. Plus the hassle of ordering and waiting.

Get the new stove. All new parts in one box. From a company that has shown it really stands behind its stoves.

Thanks for the replies.

When I first got the stove, I was all excited that I would be saving about 2 grand. Then I priced out the parts, everything but the door is in stock at the dealer. Now I am looking at at least $700 to make it look nice. When I showed my wife the picture from the website, she was not as excited as she was with the quad.

With the older stove, I have two main concerns. First the condition of the baffles or tubes on the top. That I will look at this weekend. Second if the condition of the fire box. Such as cracks and what not.

How can you test a stove for cracks?

Don't bother, we can't predict next week's or next years cracks very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.