Repairs required?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKen

Dec 3, 2016
Kenton
Just bought a second hand stove and found a few issues i wonder if someone could offer advice.

1 Something looks like it has cracked and broken away on the inside at the base of the stove at the rear can this be repaired?

20161203_171234.jpg

2 Crack in lid could these cause carbon monoxide issues?

How can i repair this?

Attachments

• 20161203_171308.jpg
    20161203_171308.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20161203_171523.jpg
    20161203_171523.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20161203_171534.jpg
    20161203_171534.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 188
Is this a Jotul? From what I see I would walk away, quickly.

Hope you didn't give to much because it looks pretty trashed to me. I wouldn't waste time repairing with that many issues.

Thanks for the comments i would appreciate some detail.

Re the lid the two cracks, i read they could be Tig welded or in some other way? Or i replace the the cover/lid assembly?

Re the damage in the stove, what is needed to repair this, - Okay this is the back burn plate and i see is $99. (that's not big deal is it?)

Last edited:
Welding cast is hit or miss. It often will recrack along the weld. The inner parts look like they can be ordered but I would guess that by the time you get parts and weld it up you will be 4-500 into a very questionable stove that may be cracked in multiple other places.

A decent used F3 without cracks should sell for about $400-500 in good operating condition. This one shows problems with flaking enamel, cracking in multiple locations. The integrity of a castiron weld on a stove is not guaranteed. Not sure if you could still get a new top for it and if so, it may be painted and not matching enamel.

I'm not seeing the baffle assembly at all??? You can bet it'll need those side liners too, cause they won't fit the new parts you put in. This one has been worked too hard and should be retired. Sorry.

I was wondering if that is what he meant by the back burn plate?
Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 2.45.11 PM.png

Just found same stove on gumtree with broken door for next to nothing, lid and baffles etc in perfect condition, happy days!! Just shows its always worth a bit of persistence.

Good deal. Between the two you may get a nice working stove.

Uhh one stove for a $100 and another for next to nothing seems like it has a much higher saving potential than $10.

I hope it works out for you SirKen.

Your photos aren't very good and do not sufficiently display the stated issues at hand. One can repair cast iron repeatedly and consistently when certain rules are followed. My costs, as an individual with welding KSA's, are limited to the rods, electric, and/or fuel, so unless you have the proper equipment and skills or a friend willing to perform these services for free/at cost, your repairs are cost prohibitive. Plus, you have insurance concerns about the integrity of the repair. It is generally cheaper to find a replacement.

Last edited:
Just found same stove on gumtree with broken door for next to nothing, lid and baffles etc in perfect condition, happy days!! Just shows its always worth a bit of persistence.
Slow to find this, but I was going to suggest the same. When I was running my Jotul Firelight 12's, I kept three and a half stoves in my house, so that I could have two stoves in running condition. Many of the exterior castings are no longer available on the older Jotuls, although they are pretty good about keeping internal parts available.

The biggest issue with a Jotul that's been overfired like this, is the likelihood of cracked and leaking cement at the seams. You can do a full disassembly and re-cement the seams, but I guarantee you'll hate yourself for it half way thru the job.

If you can get another with a broken part (eg. door), then you can use this one as the parts stove. I paid more than $100 for my parts stove, so don't feel too bad.

The F3 is a much simpler stove than the Firelight. You could rebuild it in a morning, including breaking the heads of some bolts off and retapping.

Reactions: Ashful
Your photos aren't very good and do not sufficiently display the stated issues at hand. One can repair cast iron repeatedly and consistently when certain rules are followed. My costs, as an individual with welding KSA's, are limited to the rods, electric, and/or fuel, so unless you have the proper equipment and skills or a friend willing to perform these services for free/at cost, your repairs are cost prohibitive. Plus, you have insurance concerns about the integrity of the repair. It is generally cheaper to find a replacement.

I was curious about tig welding cast (not this stove). But I have read the cast must be really heated in order to tig properly. In theory could you build a fire in a stove and get everything hot then weld? sorry to sidetrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.