Replacement for microsoft essentials

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
As you computer guys know. Microsoft Essentials is no longer being supported by MS. What is a good free replacement for me if any for my home computer?

As you computer guys know. Microsoft Essentials is no longer being supported by MS. What is a good free replacement for me if any for my home computer?

I thought the software was still supported, just not Windows XP...

Avast is pretty good stuff. I also like malwarebytes anti-malware.

I thought the software was still supported, just not Windows XP...

And even for XP Microsoft seems to continue issuing updates for its Security Essentials until 2015. http://mashable.com/2014/04/08/windows-xp-upgrade-or-switch/
However, should you still be running XP, it's high time for an upgrade. Windows 7 is nice and not really that much of a change for a XP user. Also Windows 8 got a lot more bad rap than it deserved and with 8.1 coming out they may fix some of the user interface issues. The OP is working just fine.

Also Windows 8 got a lot more bad rap than it deserved and with 8.1 coming out they may fix some of the user interface issues.
I will disagree with this. It deserved every bit of it.

Reactions: Delta-T
So MSE is still alive and well for win7 machines?

8.1 has been out for months.

Libre Office for Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.