Replacing fan motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Orerockon

Oct 30, 2020
Oregon
Hello, the fan motor on my Appalachian 32-BW pooped out on me so I ordered a new one. There are 2 extra wires coming out, a brownish and a grayish one. I can match the rest with the old motor by color. They're connected to a black doohickey. I took photos of everything if you need more. Also, how do I get the squirrel cage off the shaft of the old motor and on the new one? It's getting into the 20s here (yeah poor me, I know I'm spoiled lol) and an ice storm is coming so our power is guaranteed to be out for a few days. So I need the fan now.
20221222_062220.jpg20221222_062248.jpg20221222_062106.jpg

I can't read the motor label. Does it have this info? Look up the motor online to see if you can find the spec for those wires. There will be a set screw that has to be loosened to remove the fan blades from the motor shaft.

I can't read the motor label. Does it have this info? Look up the motor online to see if you can find the spec for those wires. There will be a set screw that has to be loosened to remove the fan blades from the motor shaft.
20221222_154105.jpg
Looks like it's the "CR" thing, those are the only other wires. Looked it up, found "current rectifier"? Do you think I just leave it as is and call it good?

Those wires are for a capacitor. It won't run/start without the cap hooked up

Right, they are for the start capacitor. Did the old motor have one? If not, you need to look up the value required for this motor.

Did a little black rectangular plastic cap come with it?

Looks like the Fasco B47120 motor equivalent does not use the capacitor. That may be what the original is.

Last edited: