Replacing Franklin stove in North FL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adb3

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2008
FL
I have a Franklin heater that sits on a brick hearth. I have used it for almost 20 yrs. Now that i am getting a bit older, i would prefer to cut less wood! i heat about 1000 ft2 with the unit. the Franklin has an 8" flue and i would like to stay with that if possible, although i can go to a 6" if needed. was thinking about replacing the intermost pipe of the 3 walled pipe with a 6" if required to maintain the air flow velocity -- any advice on this? My wife likes the looks of the Jotul 100 and the VC Intrepid over a box look.

I don't think i want a cat heater, i've never had one. but getting the filter and maintaining it are not something i would prefer to do.
I would prefer the cost to be in the range of $1000.

What are your experiences? I have been pleased with the Franklin, but it burns to much wood. I actually heat about 2300 ft2 with a Country Flame insert when it gets really cold. The Franklin provided the look and feel of a fire that my wife and i enjoyed. So, we'd like a new unit with a large glass front that allows you to view the fire.

thanks for your inputs!!! Florida Boy

The F100 is a good little heater with a great view of the fire. But you have to cut your wood to sixteen inches or less. And a realistic burn time is a couple of hours with residual heat for another hour or too. But the way a Franklin eats wood you probably don't even get burn times that long with it.

I would use the existing pipe to see how it does and make a change later if needed.

I dont think you will get 1000sq ft of heat out of our little buddy the F-100. I understand price is an issue but the 3CB will make you a much happier wood stove owner. It is only over your budget by a couple of hundred dollars and I would be willing to bet you would need to do no rework of your current flue. That stove will draft in almost any situation.

i've found pics and specs online, but no prices. What is the typical price for the F 3 CB? also, the specs say 71% efficiency, does this negate the 30% tax credit?

All of the Jotuls qualify. The test they use is based on a low burn rate. The number you are seeing is more of an over all rating. Retail wont be listed online. Jotul works very hard to keep the sales off the internet and in the hands of the dealer base. I would say an average price on a 3CB though would be 1700-1900 matte black. Add about $500 for enamel. It works out to be around $500 more then a F-100. But i feel that for you situation the 3CB would be a much better stove.

Gentlemen, thanks for the inputs. Guess i'll have to raise my expenditure to the $1500 level or thereabouts. With the 30% tax credit that's a good solution.

thanks again!

adb3 said:
I have a Franklin heater that sits on a brick hearth. I have used it for almost 20 yrs. Now that i am getting a bit older, i would prefer to cut less wood! i heat about 1000 ft2 with the unit. the Franklin has an 8" flue and i would like to stay with that if possible, although i can go to a 6" if needed. was thinking about replacing the intermost pipe of the 3 walled pipe with a 6" if required to maintain the air flow velocity -- any advice on this? My wife likes the looks of the Jotul 100 and the VC Intrepid over a box look.

I don't think i want a cat heater, i've never had one. but getting the filter and maintaining it are not something i would prefer to do.
I would prefer the cost to be in the range of $1000.

What are your experiences? I have been pleased with the Franklin, but it burns to much wood. I actually heat about 2300 ft2 with a Country Flame insert when it gets really cold. The Franklin provided the look and feel of a fire that my wife and i enjoyed. So, we'd like a new unit with a large glass front that allows you to view the fire.

thanks for your inputs!!! Florida Boy

Welcome to the forum Florida Boy.

I won't comment on the stoves except to say I know how you feel about the cat stoves. We felt the same way before our last purchase. Long story short, we now own a cat stove and are extremely happy with it. We burn only half the amount of wood we used to burn and stay a whole lot warmer. The maintenance of the cat is really amazing too. Twice per year (we heat only with this stove; no backup) we do clean the cat. It takes about 2-4 minutes maximum to do. This is how.

We raise the top lid, with gloves on we lift out the cat. I take it out on the porch and with an old paint brush, lightly brush the fly ash off the cat. Replace the cat, close the lid. I'm sure I've done this in less than 2 minutes but that is a good figure to work with.

I only wanted to add this to let you know all you've perhaps heard about cat heaters may not be the whole truth. As stated, we were afraid of them but somehow ended up with one and we are extremely happy we did. Now where did I put that paint brush...

Good luck.

Inferno, what you have to say is news to me! i had heard that the filter were expensive and have to be replaced regularly; guess a lot of folks don't like the cats. In our area it's hard to find anyone who sells wood stoves or components, that's another factor! the nearest place to see one on display is 100 miles away, and of course they don't have much, let alone one of each of a particular brand....

thanks for the good info!

Well, we bought our stove sight unseen! Woodstock sells only direct but they also have the best guarantee on the market. Use is for 6 months and if it doesn't work out for you, send it back for a full refund. Find another company that would do such a thing!

Don't feel bad about having to drive a long ways to find a dealer. It is the same thing up our way! You would think there would be many here and there used to be but not so any more. We did a lot of research and boiled it down to 3 or 4 different stoves before we finally went with the Woodstock Fireview. It is all we ever dreamed of and as stated, we burn only half the amount of wood we used to and stay a whole lot warmer.

We finally managed to get to the Woodstock factory in September this year and boy are we glad we did. It was a tremendous trip and we met lots of fine folks there. We had run of the place and talked also to many of the workers who answered every question we could throw at them. Needless to say, I can highly recommend them.

One new thing on the market is the new style cat. It is a stainless steel cat and it will work in even lower temperatures and is said to last a lot longer but we don't really know how long yet. I'm hoping for a minimum of 10 years but won't know as we are still using the old cat as we've had our stove only 3 years.

btw, in those 3 years, we have cleaned our chimney exactly one time and got about a cup of soot. In the old days we used to clean the chimney 3 times each winter! Not so with this clean burning stove. Operating the stove is also no problem and to prove it, my wife can do it! lol Keeping the stoves going has always been a struggle for her and now she can even start a fire from a cold stove. Sure, she still needs help with some fires but she is doing better.

btw, I don't think it is so much that folks don't like cat stoves, it is just a case where they do not know and you know how rumors go. Like I had stated, we too had heard bad stories about cat stoves but we no longer believe that baloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.