Replacing left side of Hearthstone Heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdepasqualejr

Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2009
Vermont
I bought a used 2003 Hearthstone Heritage a few weeks ago. I have since noticed a problem with it that I did not see when I purchased it. The side door no longer latches.

It appears that the metal frame has worn substantially, so much so that the latch no longer has enough material to grab and stay shut. I attached two photos which I hope illustrate the problem.

The door and latch look fine. I believe that I will need to replace the metal side door frame that makes up the left wall of the stove.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this? From what I understand, I will need to:

-Remove doors and set aside.
-Tap loose the stones on the top using rubber mallet
-Remove the top
-Remove two small stones above side door opening
-Slide the metal side door frame up and out
-Slide new frame in
-Re-cement everything back together.
-Re-attach doors

Sounds like a daunting task, but I feel like I should be able to figure it out if I work slowly and carefully. Yes, I could take it to the dealer, but the cost as well as the effort to bring the stove to them are discouraging me from doing that first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank You,
Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 567
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 627
sounds about right. you'll need to remove the baffle and tubes to do that of course.

get the replacement part(s) - either thru the dealer or from Hearthstone, and see what you got before tearing into it. photo everything as you dismantle, so you have a set of reverse-assembly instructions. and be prepared for things to not fit as well - given the fact that you have a way older door. might be you need to buy the kit including the door, so you'll just wind up w/ an extra door when you're done.

and before any of this, i'd sure as heck look at ways to work on the door latch itself - seems about 5000X less work to weld and grind the tab on the door latch, as opposed to anything you have planned here...

All of the latches look like that all ground down from the factory. It never was a vertical slot, it may have worn some as well. Are you certain that the door latch itself hasn't worn out of spec or even the tab has bent? I know that the side casting is two parts with the screws holding it together inside the door jamb. Can you split the casting and remove the front half without messing with the stones at all?

Please document the tear down as nobody has done this with a new heritage. The documentation part that is.

It's too bad that us regular folks don't have access to the library of TSBs from hearthstone.

Highbeam said:
It's too bad that us regular folks don't have access to the library of TSBs from hearthstone.

But you do! Thru me!
PM me anytime...
I can access the Hearthstone Dealer
site from work or at home...
All ya gotta do is ask...

That's great Daksy, thank you. It would also be nice to just browse through them and read all there is to read about the heritage. I removed my secondary air manifold once and followed the slick TSB with good pics from JimC.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

DAKSY, thank you for the technical sheet.

I ordered the door frame part, and will begin this project once that comes in. Depending on how the door fits the new frame, I may need to order a door too. Just thought I'd wait on that part til I was sure.

I will do my best to take pictures of this as I go.

I don't wanna discourage you, but you may wanna order the door now.
The frame & the door are generally paired up during the manufacturing
process & the hinge pin holes may be drilled thru both units at the same time
to ensure a good alignment.
Maybe you could call Hearthstone's # & ask Jim Casavant...

Status
Not open for further replies.