1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Replacing Old Wood Stove-Finished!!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by CountryGal, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountryGal

CountryGal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Before....and After!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bushfire

Bushfire Member

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    What an amazing difference. Great job!
  3. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Thank you! I am beyond thrilled with the job they did. Tomorrow I go in to pick up my red kettle and trivet and I want to get a new ash bucket. They are giving us new gloves and firestarters, etc as a gift. I want to personally tell the owner how pleased I was with his crew. We will be doing our start up fires tomorrow too if weather permits. It was over 80 here today and no way was I going to fire that baby up. ;)
  4. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    That turned out great!
  5. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    Great job CG. Have a very similar plan for new construction im doing and wasnt sure. Now Im sold! my only difference is to run up the walls only 5' and have an oak mantle.
  6. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Oh that sounds beautiful! I hope you post pictures of your project before, during and after.
  7. fatsister

fatsister New Member

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    That's just lovely !!!

Would you mind posting the dimensions? I want something similar.
    Just measure from the corner to the edge of the rock wall and the depth.

Thanks,
  8. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Very Very nice I like the stone work a lot I might do that to the back of mine. Great job
  9. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    My hearth dimensions are:

4 feet from the corner to edge of the hearth.
    Depth is 4 feet 2 inches.
  10. mgambuzza

mgambuzza Member

Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Great job - excellet finished project. I agree with the other posters that you had several angels looking over you with the condition of the old pipe. The volume of pictures were awesome giving perspective to the amount of work necessary to complete the project. Enjoy!
  11. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Nancie, I gave you the dimensions ^^^^ but remember, the Striker S160 is a small stove--even then we had to extend our hearth with
    tile in front of the raised hearth to achieve the minimum legal clearance (16"), so keep that in mind.

BTW, I used to live in NW Arkansas in the 70's. It's beautiful there!
  12. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    I certainly learned alot and am thankful nothing happened to us after seeing that pipe.

Our Country Stoves dealer charged $35 per square foot labor and materials and it was worth every $$. Very labor intensive and the installer literally chose each rock placement as if he was painting a portrait.

I went in yesterday and they refunded over $500 on the project when we went over what did not have to be done that was on the original quote/invoice.
    Of course, I used part of that refund for a few things they had in the store. :)
  13. fatsister

fatsister New Member

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    I was just doing research on the stove with the smallest footprint that would fit my needs. I have limited space and only need the stove as a back-up/supplement.
    The one I am looking at is the Jotul F3 CB. I have alittle over 2000sf and this stove is rated for 1300sf, which would be fine (I think)

I love NW Arkansas.
    I am originally from south Louisiana, which is not pretty.

Thanks so much for the information.
  14. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    That stove and tile/stone work is perfect!!!! It's like they were made for each other :)

Enjoy your new, safer stove!!!
  15. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Light 'er up!! Looks great, but needs some red glow to make it picture perfect.
  16. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Wouldn't you know we are having a heat wave right now? In the 80s! Plus we are waiting for our stove thermometer to arrive so we can
    guage the temps of our break in fires. It should be here any day. I ordered it last week.
  17. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Our first break in fire. Tried waiting for the weather to cool off but got anxious.

The glass is getting a little hazy/smoked in the upper right hand corner of the door. I assume that's normal.
    Smelling a bit of the new stove smell. Little bit of newspaper and 3 small 4" logs
    and it fired right up. Edited to say: hubby just told me he used fatwood.

Attached Files:

18. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    CG, that stove is so absolutely beautiful. They did a GREAT job with the install and the stone work. The haze on the window is nomal. The fire is going to be alittle smokey at first. But once you break in the stove and run some higher temps, that will burn off.

As for the smell, take advantage of the warmer weather and just open the window. It should go away after a couple fires.

Once again, PHENOMENAL looking install :)

Enjoy the warmth and safety of your NEW stove!!!!
  19. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Thanks Don! So does yours!!

I am so thrilled with it and so thankful I listened to my gut feeling about the old stove. I did open the windows and it's not too bad in here right now.

We decided it was time to get the stove broken in before the temps dropped suddenly and we would be freezing during the break in fires.

I can't use my thermometer on the stove pipe after all. We have double walled pipe from the stove to the ceiling, so it will have to go on the stove top after the break in fires. Darn! I really thought it would look great up on the pipe and easy to view too. Oh well.
  20. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    I'm sure the guys here will try to get you to purchase one of them new fangled laser thermometers....... Tell 'em to shove it :p
  21. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Quick 5-second video of our third break-in fire. Had to open the windows it got so toasty.

Striker S160
  22. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Well it looks like were on the last chapter of the saga. Every thing looks great. The final out come is if your happy with the stove and how well it works for your this winter.

All thumbs up here. ;-)
  23. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Yes, I think this closes out the story. Now we're ready for the cold weather and a chance to light it up and go for the secondary burn.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.