Replacing the Catalysts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Last year I ordered a new Baffle assembly at the end of the summer. When I installed it I found that the Stove combustors smopnge style catalysts were failing structurally. I put them in anyway and burned all last season that way. Half way thru the season I called the manufacturer and ordered replacement cats. I discovered something that I didn't know. My stove was designed to take 2 sets of cats. a 2inch set in front and a 3 inch set positioned right behind that. When I bought the stove it had a 2 inch thick set and that was all. And they were in bad shape. So with winter finally starting to show it's head Saturday, I came home from Pee Wee football and installed the new cats.

From Left to Right you have the two cats installed and ready to be bolted to the top of the stove. The clean stove waiting for wood, the baffle assembly where the cats will be attatched, and finally the first fire of the season Saturday night.

Tonight the temps are supposed to go down to the 30's It was 32 this morning. I started a fire before going to Football practice and when I got home I had to open the back door for about 20 minutes. It's hot as a pepper in here.

I guess my 19 year old stove is good for another winter at least.

Attachments

• stove1.jpg
    stove1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 218
  • stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 186
  • stove3.jpg
    stove3.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 173
  • fire.jpg
    fire.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 182
This should make your stove operate like a new animal and produce even more heat on your turn down and less creosote.
Way to go. :coolsmile:

Yeah....but now my wife is gonna make me shine the brass.

David, enjoy that thing all winter now. I'll bet you'll use less wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.