Replacing ZC fireplace damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Uscolt45

Mar 10, 2018
Vancouver, WA
Good morning all!

I am in the process of selling my home and the buyers are requiring the installation of a damper for my wood burning fireplace insert (who knew it did not have one?). I have had no success in my google searches to find an adequate replacement. The closest I found that would work mounts from the top of the chimney and is actuated by a pull wire, which we would prefer to avoid. I will post a pic of the type of damper I am hunting for. One local fireplace store was unable to assist and I will be visiting more tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your assistance locating one of these!

Fireplace Damper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that's an INSERT? Looks like the inside of a Zero Clearance Fire Place.
Is there a rating plate riveted to the box near the opening?
Often-times the plate is located behind the safety screen & is not readily visible...
That will tell you the manufacturer & model & point you towards a replacement damper...

I did look around for a make and model, and was unsuccessful but I will browse again when I get home, thanks for the response. As to whether it is an insert, that is what the inspection paperwork called it. Home built in the early '90s and has brick surrounding it.

Also I forgot to mention that picture is not of my fireplace, just a damper that I feel would work for my needs. Mine looks similar, and has two holes either side of the pipe that looks like it would support this type of damper.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of your Fireplace? The picture that you posted is not a locktop damper that you were referring to, but rather it’s a damper in a prefabricated Fireplace.

It looks like you are putting new brick in it too? So it’s looking like there was a wood burning insert in this fireplace at some point?
I’m not aware of a way to replace a damper in a prefab after it’s been removed. Typically the rod holding it gets cut in two.

I removed the fake brick panel to browse for the damper linkage, the front lever is on that side, but it connects to nothing. No new bricks.

I guess when I saw this I figured the piece was separate from the actual fireplace and would be easily obtained. It would be easy enough for them to make the rod with a spring like a toilet paper holder (I can’t think of a better example at the moment lol), to replace without tearing it apart.

So I finally found the make/model.

Temtex TFC36-2

Google hasn’t yielded any results yet, I might have to find a chimney top option for the damper.

So I finally found the make/model.

Temtex TFC36-2

Google hasn’t yielded any results yet, I might have to find a chimney top option for the damper.
You cant use a damper that was not designed and tested with that fireplace system.

Is there a replacement damper listed in the parts list? I saw that one but didn’t see the option.
I didnt see one no. Probably because it is not a replaceable part. It had to be cut to come out. You could try calling the company to see if you could get one but i am not sure how you would install it. Have you had the whole system inspected? Someone hacked it up for some reason we can tell because they cut the damper out and obviously had to replace the panels probably to put an insert in there that didnt belong. So i wondervif there may not be more damage.

View attachment 224050 Well crap, not what I want to hear! Would a damper that mounts on top and has a pull cable/chain work? I have seen two types. One is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/round-stainless-steel-chimney-damper-kit.php
Would it work? Yes Would it be to code? Not a chance.

Also is that a poured crown ontop of the chase? If so is the chase built to support that weight?

Have you had this system fully inspected by a chimney professional? The more i see the more questions come up.

I did not have it inspected no. Bought he place three years ago and our inspector had no issues with it, and now that we are selling, the new buyers inspector brought it up. I don’t know anything about it other than that. They are requiring me to put a spring loaded damper in.

I did not have it inspected no. Bought he place three years ago and our inspector had no issues with it, and now that we are selling, the new buyers inspector brought it up. I don’t know anything about it other than that. They are requiring me to put a spring loaded damper in.
I dont know what to tell you other that you cannot do anything that is not up to code when dealing with a realestate sale. It can very easily come back to bite you. If it were me i would have them get a quote and give them credit for it. The risk isnt worth it to do the work yourself. Or even to have work done by a pro that isnt up to code.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll go ahead and call a professional!
You can do that but i think the safer course of action is to let them do that. If you have the work done most of the liability falls on the pro so you are pretty safe but it is much safer for you to let them deal with it. It may cost you a little more but it will protect you from any liability at all.

I tried to throw money at them and they declined, wanting the issues fixed unfortunately and I didn’t want to lose the sale.
You are in a tough spot then. I hope you are not opening up a can of worms. You may find out way more than you want to when a pro looks at it. I may be wrong though it may be fine and they may be able to find the right part. Good luck.

Reactions: Uscolt45
They are requiring me to put a spring loaded damper in.
Seeing he suggested this remedy, maybe ask their inspector for a reference to someone that does this work.

Seeing he suggested this remedy, maybe ask their inspector for a reference to someone that does this work.
That is a good idea