1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Report in safely please thread.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by amateur cutter, Oct 29, 2012.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Anyone heard from Kath? I suspect she is snowed in and without power, but hopefully warm and snug.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Haven't heard form any Long Island members either.
    Got hammered pretty good there.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I checked the local paper where Kat lives. Not a whole lot of snow but some power outages. Sent an email to see if she gets it.

Edit: She just checked in and all is well.
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hussle just posted from her phone in the Hurricane Sandy thread said she was ok but it looked like a mess.

Pete
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    She just checked in the Can.
  6. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    [​IMG]

We kept power, though many in the county were without. Despite our fondest wishes, snow hit the higher elevations only. Back to school for us [​IMG]
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Awww, no Sandy Day for you. :p

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you were relatively unscathed by this monster...so many were not so lucky. :(
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Isn't that the truth. It helps to hear that folks are making it through this. Check on your neighbors if you can, especially the elderly.
    Shadow&Flame likes this.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good to hear you're ok and doing fine. Sorry about the school days, but there will surely be another storm and closure later. Hopefully not too many. Late June school makeup days are a drag.
  10. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Ain't it the truth. The stuff that was happening at this time last night, I could not dream that we would have so little impact comparatively. It was flat scary. I can't imagine what was going on North of here. Or how it is there now.
  11. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I know what it's like when all hell breaks loose here with a freak storm or earthquake. Things get much more fundamental. Make sure your family is ok, then check on your neighbors. The system will catch up to you, hopefully.
  12. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I am getting a little tired of the snow and ice bombardment in 2009, Snowmageddon in 2010, earthquake in 2011 and now Frankenstorm. But what ya gonna do Move to the Caribbean? I dun tink so Lucy.
  13. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

I'm wondering if this is basically the new normal-last year about this time we had been without power for 5 days due to the October snowstorm/Noreaster, and now here we are again. Not looking to turn this into a climate change debate as it is the Inglenook after all, but seriously, if the Northeast is going to get hammered at least once a year with these kinds of storms, there are going to be some serious economic impacts. Anyway, hanging on with genny power for now, but gotta go back to work today. I can send my wife and the baby to my parents (they got power back last night) but I'll have to come up here every ten hours or so to keep the sumps emptied and the food cold...Going to be a long week...
  14. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Hawaii sure sounds nice right about now.
  15. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Safe but shot nerves still.
  16. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Very little damage in western NY, despite our pretty wild marine forecasts. No idea what peak wave heights were, but winds a little ways back from the lake didn't top 35.
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Add the Spring 2010 monsoon to that list. First and only time that our sump pump couldn't keep up running constantly. Record flood levels in NE.
  18. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
  19. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Same here. We had 50 MPH winds overnight Monday but living near the lake thats quite common. No power loss and little if any damage. Any damage that did occur was due to NE winds. Our big winds are normlly out of the west. Was really a non event here.
  20. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    got a text from my daughter a while ago , norton Va. where she is at school has 24 inches of snow as of noon still coming down. she's hunkered down in the res hall with her roomies with power on and heat plenty of munchies.
  21. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Good to hear that stoveguy. How far are you from there? How much bad weather did you get in madison hgts?
  22. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Good news...the power company says that it will get our power back on.
    Bad news....they think our power will be back on on Nov 3rd. :(
  23. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Did they say what year?
  24. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Boo, I know that feeling, but that's better than hearing it will be a week later.
  25. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

she's about 5 hours drive under normal conditions to her school from here, we're just north of lynchburg va. we got a pretty heavy wind that night but very little rain. overall we have been lucky the mountains to my northwest (blue ridge) have snow on them, but we didnt get any. was just a bit on the cold side for about 48 hours. i feel exceedingly lucky, obviously at my office things are hopping as so many folks are having power difficulties getting lots of calls about how to use a genny for the pellet stove , battery backup questions and the like. just walked a guy through areboot on his control board due to power spiking from a genny, he was lucky , no surge protection and his generator was sputtering sending uneven power to his board. fortunately the board took the reboot and is now working normally again, he's on his way to the store to get a surge protector as i type this im sure.