Request for opinion on Chimney sweep product

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick search for Soot Eater and turned up a bunch of posts. Most people really like it - there was one case of a broken soot eater flex rod that I saw.
I think the majority say yes.

There have been a few people here who have bought Sooteaters . . . can't remember any negative opinions . . . in fact many of them really seem to like them.

They may work fine but if you burn cleanly with seasoned wood there really is no need for it. My once a year cleaning with a kit bought for around $60-65 that included 25' of rods and the brush yields less than a coffee can.

I just picked up 2 of them. I wanted 1, but I needed about 28' of rods and 1 kit only cam with 18'. You can buy rods but they are $22 for (2) 3ft rods. I would have had to buy 2 sets of extra rods for $44 so for $60, I just bought another complete kit. I have 2 extra rods and the head for $16.

I used it this morning and got a lot more out of my 2 month old liner that I would have hoped to get. My guess is between 1/2 gallon and a gallon of creosote. I was hoping it would be a lot less. I was getting a lot of smoke when opening the door to reload and wanted to clean it to see if cleaning it would make it better. It did. The funny thing is that I used the plastic to cover the opening and the draft up the chimney before cleaning seemed pretty good.

I recommend the soot-eater.

Amazon has it for 56.70 but it's a 3rd party so shipping is about 8.00. I went to my local true-value hardware store and asked them what their best price was. I told them Amazon had it for 57.00. They offered it to me for $59.99.

wannabegreener said:
Amazon has it for 56.70 but it's a 3rd party so shipping is about 8.00. I went to my local true-value hardware store and asked them what their best price was. I told them Amazon had it for 57.00. They offered it to me for $59.99.
Good price ! They were back ordered by a week when I ordered mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.