Request for wood ID, please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FTG-05

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2014
TN
This fell down a couple days. I bucked it up the other day.

Based on it's bark and the broken section where it broke off at the trunk, I thought it was Hackberry. However, after bucking up the upper sections, I'm not sure now.

Pics:

qabWCXI.jpg

tDSWnKX.jpg

miK7pV7.jpg

xm4UZgC.jpg

dK5bv0L.jpg

Thanks!

I say Ash, I see the little pinhole on the side of one of the cut sides and the grain inside looks like Ash that was starting to get a little "pithy".

I'd agree, Ash, hopefully White and still in decent shape..

I say Ash, I see the little pinhole on the side of one of the cut sides and the grain inside looks like Ash that was starting to get a little "pithy".

Which pic are you referring to? I don't see the pinhole you're talking about.

The trunk where it broke off is definitely pithy. However the top and most of what I cut up is very good solid wood. What threw me off is the lightly red color of the good wood. Most pics I see of ASH is that's it's mostly a white wood with very little, if any, red wood.

And if it's Ash, how long will it need to season? I can't find that dad-gum seasoning wood chart showing length of time it takes to season wood, anyone know where it is?

Will this wood be seasoned by say, mid-November? I'll need it by then.

Thanks!

Spalted white ash

Definitely EAB ash. As for it being ready in two weeks..........doubt it. If you can get the bark off It generally dries quickly.....but not that quickly. Get yourself a cheap moisture meter.

I have a white ash that fell in May. I cut it up in September and I split it beginning of October. It is not ready to burn. It is stored stacked, outside with top cover. Gets a good few hours of sun a day. My moisture meter is reading around 25% on a fresh split but I am questioning the accuracy of the meter. I tried burning some that read around 22% and less and it pissed water out like a fire hydrant and the fire never took off. I should note that I took all the bark off the splits too. Well the EAB make it easy because when I split the bark flys right off.

Definitely EAB ash. As for it being ready in two weeks..........doubt it. If you can get the bark off It generally dries quickly.....but not that quickly. Get yourself a cheap moisture meter.

Where did the two weeks come from????

ETA: My bad, I meant to say: Will it be ready by mid-November - 2025?

Pole Barn:

ACZjjlt.jpg

Woodshed #1:

a7YjuFM.jpg

Woodshed #2:

Yum4vGj.jpg

Pile of wood already bucked for this year:

qwmYxq3.jpg

Don't know where I'm going to have space to store this:

dDtNHRs.jpg

What threw me off is the lightly red color of the good wood. Most pics I see of ASH is that's it's mostly a white wood with very little, if any, red wood.
Yeah, once it a while you'll see that red hue in Ash which is in the initial stages of decomposition.
I meant to say: Will it be ready by mid-November - 2025?
I'd be willing to bet a few bucks that Ash will be dry by then. ;lol
Looks like you have a lot of wood around in various stages of seasoning. From the pics I'd think you'd know more about drying wood than what your posts would lead me to believe. Maybe you just bought that place, and the wood came with it?? ;hm

Except for that big pile of Red Oak (storm drop from up the road) and some of the rounds (load I got from a friend), all that wood in those pics came with the place when I bought it Oct. 2013.

Of course, it was all standing at the time.....

:)