Ribeye in the stove! Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Went out today and purchased a cast iron pan, heated it up in the stove, added a steak, a couple peices of hickory and my mouth tasted heaven.

2012-02-19105211-1.gif

2012-02-19105145.gif

2012-02-19105554-1.gif

That steak looks great Backwoods, I was just telling the wife we should try cooking some steaks in the Liberty, looks like this coming week or weekend with pics to follow.

You sure did get the steak before zap did. :coolgrin:

zap

I thought you would like that! Even the fat on the steak crisped up and was delicious. I'm outside enjoying the 35 deg temps sitting by the fire.

2012-02-19123129.jpg

U son of groan, you get your wood delivered via CSX! :vampire: How old is the outside fireplace and who makes it?

Looks Good.

zap

zapny said:
U son of groan, you get your wood delivered via CSX! :vampire: How old is the outside fireplace and who makes it?

Looks Good.

zap

I think I bought that about 10+ years ago.... I think at the home depot or maybe lowes. I'm thinking is an Englander, but can't quite remember. Csx, I wish! Thats the border, and theres hasn't been a train through in decades. You should see the trees growing out of the racks. I think those tracks were used with mining. I'll post pics sometime. Feel better zap.

Well I went out back....

The trail from the yard in:

2012-02-19134420.jpg

From the tracks:

2012-02-19134759.jpg

1 of 2 old quarries in the woods:

2012-02-19134725.jpg

From below, house is about 30 above cliff in the distance:

2012-02-19134650.jpg

Cast iron is the only way I cook a ribeye also. Can't be beat. Looks great

Porter House / T-Bone are fine for the grill.

pen

Damnit said:
Backwoods said:
Ooops, almost forgot
so how does that stove in the picture heat the house.

The jotul heats the house perfectly, especially due to the open concept. Although when its below 20, I have to stay on top of it.

pen said:
Cast iron is the only way I cook a ribeye also. Can't be beat. Looks great

Porter House / T-Bone are fine for the grill.

pen

Pen, agreed. This has opened a whole new door to wood burning and cooking. I have some burgers on my mind.

That looks so good.... I'll have to tru it ! But 'Ill trade the Miller Lite for a Rickard's Red... :)

Miler lite... Ha ha ha. Thats high life. The champagne of beers. Thats troop supporting beer. Gotta support the troops. Be well. :lol:

Oh wow that ribeye looks amazing.

That ribeye looks fantastic . . . I may have to try this myself.

P.S. Where are the vegetables? ;) :)

Sorry, no veggies. Just stead and potatoes. Gotta watch my figure ya know! :)

HehHeh . . . you sound a lot like me . . . just steak and potato is all I need . . . I usually add veggies when cooking for both the wife and myself. :)

Veggies are usually an afterthought.
Love a good steak with a salad though. New York strip is my favorite.
Pre-seasoned pan? I buy 'em at garage sales for a few bucks and re-season.
I shouldn't read these threads........now I'm hungry.

That looks great. Now my stomach is growling.

I have the same chimney in my back yard.

You inspired me!!!

On my way home I swung by the store and picked up some rib eyes, dug out my cast iron pan from my camping supplies, put in a little olive oil, salted and peppered the steak and voila -- in less than 6 minutes I had some of the best steak I have ever eaten . . . along with a garden salad and some cheddar and broccoli pasta.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Attachments

• smallsteakdone.jpg
    smallsteakdone.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 329
  • smallsteakraw.jpg
    smallsteakraw.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 290
Nice Jake!!!!! How was the fat on the edge??? Didi you get it crispy enough while maintaining a pink center??? It was like glorified bacon I tell Ya. Nice pics. I may have to make another special run to the foodstore for some more. ;-)

These are the best steak-in-stove pics I've ever seen. So tell me, do you establish a deep bed of coals, flatten them out and preheat the pan on coals until it is glowing, then add steak? We don't pan fry steak so this is weird but I assume you must flip the steak at some point to sear the back side. Does the steak end up boiling in its juices or does it fry in a pretty dry pan.

I gotta say Jake, I would not have bought that particular steak but intstead looked for one with more meat like Backwoods found.

I had a bed of coals, went out and split some hickory into small pieces, let them ignite, turned down the air, and put the pan in, in 2 minutes, I rubbed salt & pepper on the steaks and a dab of olive oil, placed into the pan, only needed maybe 3 minutes, flipped steak, another 3 minutes, and it was a perfect medium steak. Wear super hand protection when removing pan, it will burn through any oven mitt in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.