Round files

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
How many sharpening jobs do you get out of your round files before you start into a new one? (roughly)

I know MMAul has used the same file for over a year now and we run are saw a lot. (its a sthil file) has to be 15-20 sharpenings now and still going strong.

The cross cut Stihl file has worked for me, I have about 25 sharpenings on it and its still going strong. Well worth the 20 dollars for the fileing kit.

MMaul said:
The cross cut Stihl file has worked for me, I have about 25 sharpenings on it and its still going strong. Well worth the 20 dollars for the fileing kit.

and I know you did my 91 drive lenths with it as well thats got to be worth 1 and 3/4 sharpenings lol

At less than two bucks each I don't count. That said, I replace them at the rate of about one every two weeks when we're cutting several days out of the week with two saws. I carry spare chains and I sharpen everything used at the end of each day. So that's two weeks times 3 days a week to give us 6 days, multiply that by two saws times three chains each and it gives you about 36 on average. Once the file starts to lose its bite I toss it and I have to say, anyone who's trying to set some sort of record for how long they can keep a file alive is, is, well, is I don't know what, but they sure aren't acting very smart. Sharpen the saw and get on with it, this ain't about saving the files. sharpenings

Great question, I remember when one file would last as long as a chain. Now it seems like a file is good for 10-12 touch-ups (3 strokes/tooth) on an 18" bar. I just finished cutting up a grapple load and had to replace my file after the 12th filing.

Kong said:
At less than two bucks each I don't count. That said, I replace them at the rate of about one every two weeks when we're cutting several days out of the week with two saws. I carry spare chains and I sharpen everything used at the end of each day. So that's two weeks times 3 days a week to give us 6 days, multiply that by two saws times three chains each and it gives you about 36 on average. Once the file starts to lose its bite I toss it and I have to say, anyone who's trying to set some sort of record for how long they can keep a file alive is, is, well, is I don't know what, but they sure aren't acting very smart. Sharpen the saw and get on with it, this ain't about saving the files. sharpenings

not sure I get the comment so if the files still cutting good throw it away or just keep it until it needs replaceed not trying to set anything here "it is what it is" I cut more than 150 chains this fall and winter got a pretty good grasp on it. (+ my dozen) use it as long as it cuts...

IIRC I bought a dozen files when I was in my 20's and I think I'm set for as long as I live.

I have used the oregon files and the stihl files. The stihl files are much better and last alot longer. If you file your chain do the comparison you will be amazed much like I was.

Use to use "Mad Dog" files. I thought they filed great. What a bite! Hard to find at times.

This was discussed awhile back here. Some of the things I remember coming out of that thread were to not let the files rub against each other in your tool box etc, I think someone said they keep thiers in drinking straws. Tap the file to release the cuttings as you sharpen.

'bert

smokinjay said:
Kong said:
not sure I get the comment so if the files still cutting good throw it away or just keep it until it needs replaceed not trying to set anything here "it is what it is" I cut more than 150 chains this fall and winter got a pretty good grasp on it. (+ my dozen) use it as long as it cuts...

Apparently you missed the part in the middle where I said "Once the file starts to lose its bite I toss it"

You see what you can get from a careful reading? What I actually said was when they get dull I break out a new one, not something absurd like I would toss a perfectly good file - now that would be plain stupid, wouldn't it?

They sell them out of bulk packages at the local hardware store for $1.49 each. If you are able to keep one useful for a very long time I'm mighty proud of you.

wow, never knew my questions to cause people to get so catty w/ each other! :)

MMaul, where do you get your Stihl files?? Anywhere on the net? I don't have any dealers real close to me, so I try to just order everything off the net. I just have Oregon files right now (ordered the 12 pack) but would be interested in trying somethin new.

'Bert, was there a reason why they said to separate the files?? I have all my round files laying in my chest drawer with all my other files, not thinkin it was that big of a deal. would be curious to know.

I got it at a dealer. But you can probably buy it on line, I haven't looked though. Just make sure you buy the right size file for you chains.

I store all my files, toolbox or otherwise, in plastic tubing or soda straws or some sort of case. Touching other hard metal, especially in a mobile box that bounces around, wrecks the edges.

I use the oregon guide for depth of cut (how far the file drops into the tooth) because it holds my angle better. Not the 25 or 30 angle, but the actual cutting edge angle. Each chain touchup I just twist the file about 15 degrees in the holder before starting and new spot is exposed.
They 'feel' like either cutting or not. seems obvious and I toss it.

Try the SaveEdge files. About $15 per dozen either from SaveEdge or from Baileys. IMO cut better and way cheaper than oregon or stihl. I think last as well or longer also.

I use mostly the orange plastic handles, but sometimes a tubeless tire valve stem. Remove the tire valve core and push the file tang in there. Have heard a golf ball makes a good palm sized file handle also.

k

Kong said:
smokinjay said:
Kong said:

Apparently you missed the part in the middle where I said "Once the file starts to lose its bite I toss it"

You see what you can get from a careful reading? What I actually said was when they get dull I break out a new one, not something absurd like I would toss a perfectly good file - now that would be plain stupid, wouldn't it?

They sell them out of bulk packages at the local hardware store for $1.49 each. If you are able to keep one useful for a very long time I'm mighty proud of you.
I wish people could keep the quote tags straight so we'd know who said what rather than put words in someone's mouth.

MMaul said:
Just make sure you buy the right size file for you chains.
I deliberately use a different size than what Stihl calls for. It's not so much the size, it's all about how you use it.

kevin j said:
I use mostly the orange plastic handles, but sometimes a tubeless tire valve stem. Remove the tire valve core and push the file tang in there. Have heard a golf ball makes a good palm sized file handle also.
I like to use the large pistol grip handle. That way you get to use all of the file, not just itty bitty short strokes.

Earlier I posted that I liked the Mad Dog files. Just remembered they were made by Timber Savage. Anyone else ever use them? They were a double cut file. I notice they would really clean up a cutter easy, that had hit a stone, dirt, etc.

Kong said:
smokinjay said:
Kong said:

lol Ic I guess thats why I ask the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.