RSF Opel 2 Andiron question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtj53

Feb 16, 2009
Northwest Illinois
Hi guys...
Allow me to ask what may or may not be a foolish question. In my RSF Opel, in the evening I like to load it up pretty good to last throughout the night. Every once in awhile a large chunk falls down against the glass at some point. Nothing bad has ever happened, but I'd prefer it didn't happen at all to be on the safe side, as well as keep the ashes away from the door gasket, and to help keep the door window clean. The RSF Opel 2 has a couple irons sticking up in front that so far as I know are made specifically for this purpose, not sure. I just welded together a couple pcs of longer steel to slip over what is already there. The steel I used fits over fairly easy but once on there is pretty snug.
My question....because this is a fairly snug fit, and with the heat inside the fireplace, my irons won't "fuse" together with the existing steel will they? I don't believe they will but I honestly wasn't sure....I can go back and put a little larger piece on the bottom that slips over the existing pcs, but I like the fact they are pretty snug and won't allow much movement at all.

Thanks in advance for your replies..... irons1.jpg irons2.jpg

I'd think you'd be fine, but you could use the larger piece like you suggested and drill/tap a hole on one side that you can put a bolt into for tightening. Would make things really snug and easily removable.

There shouldn't be any "fusing" going on. You are not running at a temp that would allow the metal to get molten in any way. The only concern I would have (and it is tiny and probably not even worth mentioning, but I am gonna), is that if they are two different metal types - they could expand and contract at different rates - but even at that, I can't see it causing any problems.

Thanks guys for the quick replies....
I figured I'd be fine but wasn't completely sure....Jags...I actually hadn't thought of the iron expanding and contracting....perhaps I will make them out of a little bigger stock just to be safe...

Bluerubi....The tightening bolt idea is an excellent one...I probably can't use an actual tightening bolt because I almost have to load the wood, then put the irons on in somewhat of a hurry and then close the door quickly, but I'll use your idea another way, I'll adapt some sort of spring loaded pin with a heavy duty spring that'll hold them snug, sort of a snap in pin. May even drill a hole in the existing metal for the pin to snap into.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.