Running Air Handler Fan with Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_pinehill

Nov 29, 2008
nj
We have a ~2300 sq ft colonial. The stove is a Quad Classic Bay, so far we are very pleased with it, it pours out the heat, but obviously closed bedroom are not that warm. We have a forced hot air system. does anyone run their fan only to circulate the air? Are there programable thermostat controls that give you the option of cycling the fan on / off? thanks

There is a device that will do this for you called Thermagard. I may have spelled it wrong, but it is close to that. I had one installed on my air handler, to periodically run the fan to help circulate the air. I have stopped using it as it has done next to nothing for me. All it does is to push cold air from the duct work up into the house, and if anything it makes the rooms furthest from the pellet stove colder. It is not worth using the electricty it takes to run the fan. Your circumstances may be different than mine however. I'm just telling you that it did not help me at all.

One needs to remember that ducting insulation is about R3, ducting is usually steel and have leaks, creates more harm than good. I don't use my central in the winter, so I fill the register boxes with insulation (inside a plastic bag).

I just had a vent installed in the return right by my XXV in the basement.

If I run the stove up around 80 degrees or so and run the fan only portion of my HVAC it seems to raise the temps in the house upwards of 5 degrees.

I run my oil heat at around 65 most of the time so raising the temo 5 degrees makes it almost toasty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.