Running Harman Advance Without Side Doors and Rear Shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick5472

Oct 19, 2008
Columbia, MD
I have had a vibration in my stove for a few days now. Thinking it was the rear shields vibrating, I took them off. I just wondered if it was advisable to run the stove for any length of time with the shields and doors removed? Once I can determine if the shields were the problem, I will put them back on and make sure they are damped. Oh, I also cleaned out the fines collection box while I was in there. If that doesn't fix the vibration, I will go to phase two...

Keep things from coming in contact withthe stove. Other than that not an issue. We all need to be naked every once in a while, I guess. Please do not send me pictures..... unless........

Eric

Rick5472 said:
Thanks for the info Eric....I should have the stove dressed soon..

Just remember to wear pants when filling your hopper.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
...... We all need to be naked every once in a while, I guess. Please do not send me pictures..... unless........
....unless you're a very good looking female that models for the Victoria's Secret catalog.

That WAS what you were going to say , right Eric??? ;-P

imacman said:
kinsman stoves said:
...... We all need to be naked every once in a while, I guess. Please do not send me pictures..... unless........
....unless you're a very good looking female that models for the Victoria's Secret catalog.

That WAS what you were going to say , right Eric??? ;-P

Who says "No Pictures= Never happened"?

Gonna have to dress her back up. Seems that the panels were not the main problem. The auger seems to cause a vibration in the stove and it is not consistant with every cycle. I believe this caused the panels to vibrate seeming to bring a louder noise. Back to the drawing board.......

I have a new Harman Advance and my auger makes the same irritating noise. Every time it cycles on and off, I hear it even in the next room. Sounds like a loud, cheap rotisserie oven motor whirring.

After extensive searching on this board and on google, the loud auger seems to be an issue across most of the Harman models. It seems like the luck of the draw, some have nearly silent motors, others are very loud. The only fix is to swap it out and hope your next motor is quieter than the first one. The disturbing thing is that one poor Harman owner had his original auger motor swapped out with a new motor and it was just as noisy as the first one. He swapped it out a THIRD time, and finally that one was so quiet you could barely hear it run.

I hate the thought of having to keep swapping out the motor until I finally get one of those lucky "silent" ones, lol.

Disconnect the motor from the auger and see if it still makes the noise. The gear boxes don't always have enough grease. You can carefully open the gear box and pack it with high temp grease - the same grease used when doing disc brakes on your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.