Running Pellet stove on battery back up. Info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lot2

Jun 15, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I am looking for a way to run my Englander 25 during an extended power outage [24 hrs.] Would prefer a power PAC of some type, or small natural gas generator. Funds are very limited. Any and all suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Finding a UPS with the kind of power reserve you need for 24 hour operation would take a pretty dang big one. Your best bet would probably be a small, portable genset. First thing that you need to do is a little research on your stove (and there are a couple of reps on this site). I do not know if the control boards on that stove require a pure sine wave or not. Some cheaper gensets are not made to run sensitive electronics.

lot2 said:
Maybe I didn't say it correctly,,,,, Just for 12 - 24 hrs. I could recharge it during the day. Sorry

Actually that was my bad. I meant to say 24 hours. (post corrected).

Lot2, welcome to the forum.

You can do a search for "battery backup", and/or "UPS" on the site and get a lot of info.

You might want to shoot Mike Holten a PM (stoveguy2ESW) or an email ([email protected]).....he could answer your question the best, since he is the head of tech support for Englander, and is a great guy to work with.

hi back macman, you guys need to quit making me blush :)

as far as power packs or inverters, the only brand i have had any personal dealings with are made by a company in vermont "stove Sentry" look them up at at www.stovesentry.com

if your unit is an "auto ignite" unit manufactured from 2004 to present , the model you would select is the "503-A" , the "manual start" units built prior to 04 can be run on the "502" model

these things are a bit pricy , but if nothing else you may be able to use the specs to purchase less expensive setup which would do the same job.

as for generators , using the same baselines for amperage and wattage usually is a better "bang for the buck" buy simply due to the limiting factor of batteries. nice thing about the sentry however is its ability to "cut in" when power is interrupted. most cases when i simulated this with one in my home it would actually take over but run a startup cycle which isnt a great thing due to the drain from the igniter but once the unit regains its senses (after a minute or two) it relaizes its got a fire already and in most cases will abort the startup sequence and go back to the normal run mode.

i wish i could advise you better on a generator system , but i have not shopped NG powered gen sets, im sure they would output power just like a gas model but NG fueled may be more expensive a gen to buy.

i hope you find this useful , and i do apologise for not having more info for you, we really havent played with battery backup systems very much at all, mostly due to generators usually being a bit more attractive alternative source due to higher capacity and ability to run over longer durations, i will say in closing that the folks at stove sentry have always been quite forthcoming with me in dealing with them and seem to be a pretty solid company to deal with.

Thanks for the input. I really don't want to go gen. due to theft factor and closeness of homes. I'll check out the stove sentry.

lot2 said:
Thanks for the input. I really don't want to go gen. due to theft factor and closeness of homes. I'll check out the stove sentry.

I got a nice heavy duty chain and pad lock for mine.

Hoverfly said:
lot2 said:

I got a nice heavy duty chain and pad lock for mine.

And Home Depot has a nice 1500w (2000w surge) generator on sale that will run approx. 9 hrs at 50% load (more than enough to run a pellet stove) for $199.99...and it's pretty quiet....78 db, and includes 12V battery charging cables.

In the event of a power outage, I'm sure the neighbors will understand the little extra noise.

www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...mail-_-061809_PATIO_HS-_-061809_patiohs-_-MGD GENERATOR -28W&locStoreNum=1250&marketID=65

Status
Not open for further replies.