Running pellet vent pipe THROUGH inexpensive hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scelder

Jun 19, 2014
Indiana
I purchased a used Harman Accentra that will be sitting in front of my fireplace due to size.

The fireplace itself is an older, traditional masonry unit with a large brick firebox, damper, etc. -- i.e., build to be burned open-hearth.

I'd like to block the open area around my pellet stove pipe to cut down on drafts and heat loss.

I don't have a convenient way to cut and fix metal around the damper / smoke shelf area, which is where my chimney sweep installed metal sheeting on another wood stove I have.

My thought was to take an inexpensive hearth pad (such as: www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fireplaces-stoves/hearth-pads/hy-c-32-x-42-black-floor-wall-shield/p-1698713-c-6857.htm?tid=6850014085051031589)

and place it vertically against the front of my fireplace opening -- the dimensions would completely cover up the opening -- and drill a hole through it to run the connection between my pellet stove to the rest of the vent pipe.

This seems like the most aesthetically pleasing // simplest option, but as always I turned to the forum:

What am I not thinking of here? Is there any reason this wouldn't work / is a dangerous set-up?

Thanks!

Great idea, maybe a hole saw instead of a drill .....

I can tell you that I tried to burn one of those protectors made of mineral board (imperial )with a torch and no way would it burn so I don't see a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.