running temp of englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
I haven't had my first fire yet but wondering what everyone is running for temps on the englander 30 and where are they taking temps from? top of stove or on pipe?

I run the stove pretty constantly at 500 - 550 measured on the step top and also on the side of the stove body. At that temp it is tossing a bunch of heat. Tonight it may see 600+ because of the single digit temps but maybe not. It took a little trip up to 750 one night but not on purpose. I screwed up and put three pieces of bone dry oak in it. Everybody has opinions but I think 600 is enough to kick a steel stove if you want to keep it around for awhile.

The temp is higher measured on the step top than on the lower surface in front of it. Trivia fact: Step top stoves came about in order to have different cooking temperatures available. On the 30 the step gets hotter because of the flue flame impingement restricter being located under it.

When Hogwildz gets his installed we will see what it does at higher temps. Down at Monroe Mike told me "It won't split in half BB.". Hog will find out for us.

BB, you gave an excellent answer on the high side, but how low can you go, and still get a clean burn, or is 500 as low as you go?

Thanks.

Old new or whatever I have never seen a wood stove with a clear stack under 500. Smoke burns around 1050 degrees. Stove top temp is loosely half of the temp in the firebox.

Light it up. Work with it and watch the chimney and you will find the right combination for your stove, chimney and wood. Different for everybody. Actually, different for every load of wood.

Thanks for the answer BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.