Rust holes in what I believe to be a ventilator brick and mortar with metal liner fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Goodpcrepair

Nov 8, 2017
michigan
Let me start by saying I am not keen on doing an intsert. I bought new glass doors to replace the existing and I like burning wood. I am trying to get some quotes from a couple of chimney and masonry groups. The times I know is bad and I can wait to summer if I have too. I will try and attach photos. The system from what I can see is a double line prefab insert with ventilation pulling from the sides of the fireplace sil. I have a small hole to access the smoke shelf and damper. It also has a chamber to push your ashes in from inside the fireplace. There is a creosote build up over a long rusted hole. We have owned the house for 2 years and it had a cap on the chimney since at least then.

Looking for the cheapest recommended fix for this. Thanks for helping out.

Attachments

• Rust holes in what I believe to be a ventilator brick and mortar with metal liner fireplace
    IMG_20171108_203039_01.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Rust holes in what I believe to be a ventilator brick and mortar with metal liner fireplace
    IMG_20171108_203019_01.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 202
    IMG_20171108_203011_01.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 192
    IMG_20171108_203003_01.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 186
    IMG_20171108_202957_01.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 185
Let me start by saying I am not keen on doing an intsert. I bought new glass doors to replace the existing and I like burning wood. I am trying to get some quotes from a couple of chimney and masonry groups. The times I know is bad and I can wait to summer if I have too. I will try and attach photos. The system from what I can see is a double line prefab insert with ventilation pulling from the sides of the fireplace sil. I have a small hole to access the smoke shelf and damper. It also has a chamber to push your ashes in from inside the fireplace. There is a creosote build up over a long rusted hole. We have owned the house for 2 years and it had a cap on the chimney since at least then.

Looking for the cheapest recommended fix for this. Thanks for helping out.
There is no real cheap option. What are your goals with the fireplace? Do you want heat or do you want the ambiance of an open fireplace.

I want functional, affordable, and I am willing to do most of the work. Wood stove insert really seemed like a second best. But from looking people don't recommend inserting into a prefab. Besides the metal it appears to be all brick on an exterior all so I assume that helps.

This is not a factory built, pre-fab or zero clearance fireplace as people refer to them. It is a metal heat form masonry fireplace. A insert would be a giant step up in efficiency and would be a actual heat source for your home. Not only not 2nd best but IMO a giant upgrade over a open fireplace. A open fireplace such as this will usually have a net loss of heat to the home while running because it is so inefficient and moves so much air up and out the chimney.

Do some more research. Unless your only desire is a open fire for ambiance and don't mind running something completely inefficient. A insert is definetly the way to go.

My fireplace before/after.

Rust holes in what I believe to be a ventilator brick and mortar with metal liner fireplace Rust holes in what I believe to be a ventilator brick and mortar with metal liner fireplace

If you don't mind what did that run you? I am willing to most of the work. I might not have worked specifically with fireplaces but I am handy.

If you don't mind what did that run you? I am willing to most of the work. I might not have worked specifically with fireplaces but I am handy.

It's doable if you're handy for certain. I bought my insert second hand ($400cdn). I then used a preinsulated solid liner system (duraliner) which I was able to purchase wholesale cdn so the price probably wouldn't help you to compare much.

Lots of good install info and helpful people here that can help guide you through it. I strongly recommend a insulated liner top to bottom for safety and performance if you go the insert route. It's worth the extra effort and expense.

That is what I see online. Brands locations where is the best place to find reasonable stuff? Also any good walkthroughs or things to cover the steps needed to take? Would like it to be up to code.

That is what I see online. Brands locations where is the best place to find reasonable stuff? Also any good walkthroughs or things to cover the steps needed to take? Would like it to be up to code.
Basically you will need to start by picking a stove or insert that will work with the space you have and the area you need to heat. What ever stove you pick make sure you have room for a properly sized insulated liner for it in your chimney. If you have a 12 by 12 liner for your fireplace you can pick any you want if it is smaller you will need to limit your picks to a 6" stove.

Reactions: Squisher
I have a 12 by 12 chimney and a small opening. It is 35w 24h and 25d. I think i can open the height a little but that is where I would need a masonry. I think I would have to cut out the damper and some of the metal box. I don't know really anything about the liners. Is there somewhere I should read first on liners and installs? I found recency online as a top brand. If there are people in the Lansing area of Michigan I would mind recommendations on a show room to visit.

If you go to the homepage here at hearth.com. On the right hand side if you scroll down you will see a list of categories and the number of articles in each. Scroll down to woodstoves/fireplaces. And start reading. Lots of excellent info that will help you get started.