S@#$! my stove is to hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Reloaded my stove at 350 put some pine (4 pieces) and oak (4 small pieces) everything was fine it made it way towards 700 I figured no big deal I will take a shower.... well now its pinned at 8! It's a summit insert and even the intake air at the bottom is a shooting flame! Where is the ebt? Isn't it supposed to close air off? I have seen this before, but would like to think I was green with the stove ... my blower is on high and $ bill test was good couple of days ago..... how can I cool her down ? None of the rails of baffle inside is glowing red as when you give it to much air .... secondaries are going like crazy and it looks ok except for the boost air having a flame come out... I checked for bad wells and could not see any the other day... so wtf!?! I also don't fill it up to the baffle, maybe just a little higher than the bricks .... worst thing is the wood looks like its barely even burning and its already been a couple of hrs! Someone put some jet fuel on that pine!

If nothing is glowing, you'll be fine. What temp did you cut the air back?
The air coming out the front intake will shoot jet flames at 700+ temps, at least for a lil while.

It sounds like you are dealing with a PE with dry wood.

Interesting, isn't it?

I've had flames coming out of the boost manifold on my Super 27 with no I'll effects.

Hogwildz said:
If nothing is glowing, you'll be fine. What temp did you cut the air back?
The air coming out the front intake will shoot jet flames at 700+ temps, at least for a lil while.

Hey Hog! Good to see ya! Was wondering where you were....
I cut the air back in stages. By 500 it was in between L and totally being shut down..... I watched it go up and thought everything was fine ... closed it a little more and took a shower .. there was less than 1/4 inch to completely having the air shut down..

BB .. yes the boost manifold thingy has flames shooting from them ... its an amazing light show!...
She is down to 775 now .. my guess is she has been at 700 or more now for 2 hrs and counting!

albertj03 said:
I've had flames coming out of the boost manifold on my Super 27 with no I'll effects.

I have had them before as well .... but this time they shot up to the top ... like they were igniting the secondaries at the baffle ... it was really cool , the flames were big coming outta the boost not like the little tornado ones that come out..

From what I have seen here nothing can happen that a welder can't fix. :coolsmirk:

Slow those damn stoves down guys. You are looking for heat. Not a supernova.

Maybe that evil Pine has some pitch in it and it all outgassed at once?

Hhhmpfff.

I have a Summit and if you're burning pine in it, and probably any stove, you want it to be big pieces or it will burn like you won't believe.

I think waiting for the stove top to cool more before loading would help. If the weather is warm enough I try to let the stove cool off well into the 200* range before reloading. I can't imagine you need to keep the stove top in the 350+ range to heat the joint up in this weather.

karl said:
I have a Summit and if you're burning pine in it, and probably any stove, you want it to be big pieces or it will burn like you won't believe.

Agreed. At least for the white pine around here, I have found the stuff that's either only moderately dry or else verging on punky will burn at a reasonable pace. But there's a certain level of dryness that's like burning 2x4's - and better to burn one 8x8 than eight 2x4's.

karl said:

Nope too the parts in RED otherwise I would be hooped. By the way 15% mc on the average. It can still snuff a flame out in 50 paces and produce no smoke.

I agree with BB. When the stove is hot, don't put in small splits. Save them for starting the fire. If the stove draft is strong, then maybe restrict the airflow more.

iceman said:
albertj03 said:

I have had them before as well .... but this time they shot up to the top ... like they were igniting the secondaries at the baffle ... it was really cool , the flames were big coming outta the boost not like the little tornado ones that come out..

Ok you got me, I've never had them that high. I think 3 or 4 inches was probably the furthest I've seen them shooting out in my stove.

It's almost 7 and the fan is still going on off ... downstairs is at 74 after going over 80 last night... I will have to learn from this lol outside temp is 35 .... hopefully I can tweak it and stay around 700 for peak ... but I will tell you the heat that came outta that baby was great! Wow! But it was able to heat the entire house a lot faster and easier it seemed it wasn't the hrs long slow climb of temps

Status
Not open for further replies.