SAE 30 Chain and Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Hearth Supporter
Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
My wife picked up a couple of gallons of chain and bar oil from Walmart for me this weekend......it's labeled "Super Tech SAE30 Chain and Bar Oil"......but it seems way thinner than the Poulan or generic stuff I get from TSW and I don't remember seeing anything else labeled "SAE30". Any issues with using this stuff?

I switched to running Wesson Canola oil for the bar, working great so far. Another member (smokin) told me about it, this will be the start of my second year running it.

zap

Reactions: smokinj
If you feel its to thin use it in the colder months. (I would use it because its bought and paid for);) Maybe let it rest longer between fill ups if the bar is to hot to the touch.

I've used it before in the past when it's on sale. It doesn't seem to have as much tackifier in it to keep the oil on the bar but it does okay. I pretty much use whatever is on sale for the season. I wish I had stocked up a year ago when Home Depot was clearing out their stock for $6/gallon.

Bar oil tanks are on the hot part of the saw. Bar oil gets hot when running the saw & becomes thinner than what you pour out of the jug.
SAE 30 will be fine any time of the year. Some say 5 & 10 weight for winter & 30 & up for summer. The hot oil tank don't care.
Using 30# in the winter, just let the saw warm up a bit before jumping into a big dry log.

I use whatever, whenever. If have both, I'll use the thicker TSC oil in the summer, the thinner wally world stuff in the winter. Really though, I don't think it matters.

Nice of your wife to buy it for you.

Reactions: mecreature
Status
Not open for further replies.