safe wall temps? i'm I too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobaccogrower

Jan 9, 2010
Suffield Ct
so just read the stickie on clearances and decided to go check mine. right side of stove is 23 inches, left side 18 and back 12. the only wall i'm concerned about is the right side where it's only sheetrock and not brick. the infered said the sheetrock wall about even with top of stove was 190*! i dont think i could keep my hand on it long! its hot! stove top temp is 450 and about halfway through the burn(3 hours most) stove is a POS wood goblin. about to pull the trigger on a BK princess tomorrow.

should i be worried? i've been using this stove for the first season i moved in, replaced with a dutchwest everburn, that died, replaced with the original stove last winter, burned a cord through it(went to florida) now were in the shoulder season and i'm a little worried. should i stop burning? am i worring for nothing?

forgot to post a pic......

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 211
190 is too hot imo. If you can't hold your hand on it, that's a sign. What does the manual say about clearances? The hottest my wall has gotten is 148 if I remember correctly. Can you add a heat shield to your stove? This may not help due to the hot wall being on the right.

stove has been here since 1980 when my dad and grampa redid the house. only had one fire through the stove when i moved in. this stove has no firebrick in it. its a cheap knock-off of a VC. this is my LAST fire in it till i get somthing else!

scary part is its chocked down as low as it will go. it's only 35* here!

the hottest my wall has bin is 140 and i thought that it was to hot 190 sounds way to hot i would listen to wellseasond and stop burning four now until you figure out what you can do to lower that wall temp. that is jest my thought good luck.

If I remember correctly the spontaneous combustion point of wallpaper was 450F and oil based paint was 425F when I looked it up. That is not to say there want be heat damage though.

Pete

That stove appears to be a Defiant which needs twice the distance you currently have - 36". This is a dangerous situation, and it looks so all the way around. Brick only reduces that clearance to 24". You have the stove in an alcove. In the short term get a sheet of metal or cement board like Durock right away and set it against the right wall with an air gap behind it as a heat shield.

When is the BK arriving? Have you measured clearances for this stove to be sure it will legally fit? How wide is this alcove?

its out and wont be lit again untill i get some stone board later today. i'll measure the clearances and see if the bk will even fit. i dont think it will be bigger then my dutchwest

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
I agree, those clearances seem close. Like Pete said, that wallboard shouldn't ignite until it gets very hot, but why chance it? You'll be OK if you do as BeGreen suggested and put up some durock board (hardibacker would be OK, too) with an airspace behind it for temporary heat shield. Make certain whatever board you choose to use is non-combustible, as some cement board has polystyrene in it (yeah found this out when getting ready to install my NZ3000). When you get your BK, make sure you have the clearances it requires. If you do not have them in the alcove, you may have to either install permanent heat shields or build a bigger alcove. Either way, we're all concerned for you and your families safety here. Keep us posted.....

alcove is 70 inches across. the BK princess requires 16inches of side clearance. she will fit nicely! hopfully i can get ahold of the guy who sells them here and put down a deposite to get the ball rolling!

Reactions: ScotO
alcove is 70 inches across. the BK princess requires 16inches of side clearance. she will fit nicely! hopfully i can get ahold of the guy who sells them here and put down a deposite to get the ball rolling!
I know one thing, from the guys on this site. You'll love that BK. Lots and lots of positive feedback on this site alone. Keep us posted as your install progresses!

what are the dimensions of that board?

good find!

Reactions: ScotO
If I remember right, they actually have 2 sizes but this one is something like 36" x 42" and they had one a little bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.